Author Topic: Sinew Backing  (Read 2146 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Sinew Backing
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:04:03 pm »
What is the primary reason most of you back with sinew?  To hold recurve/bending in?  Extra protection?  Add weight?  I have a short piece of osage with some nasty deformed rings that I was planning on backing with sinew because of length and ring situation.  Would I be better off using the sinew on a piece with cleaner rings?  Is sinew a good compromise for a poor piece of wood?  I'm fairly sure I can get the piece to one ring, but the rings go from thick to thin back to think the entire length.  Thanks for any help!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Sinew Backing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:26 pm »
I back with sinew for peace of mind.  I've never had a bow backed with sinew break.  I personally think it takes a lot of sinew to add draw weight to a bow.  Much better to build the weight in from the start.  I've heard of people adding draw weight though, but it has never worked for me.  I do think sinew backing covers a multitude of wood problems.  Sometimes I don't follow growth rings at all when I plan to sinew.  In that case I decrown and make a nice flat bow back. 

In your case, I would suggest taking your bow to where you can get a string on it, then put the sinew on with hide glue.  Don't put a finish (or additional backing) on the sinew until you're confident you have a good bow.  If it breaks in final tillering or the initial shooting you can soak the sinew off and reuse it on a better piece of wood.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:00 pm »
Jeff, I add sinew to a bow I plan to sinew from the start. It will add a bit of protection to a not so good stave but I use other backings, silk, linen, rawhide for not so good staves. There is a lot of work and waiting involved with sinew backing so I save that time and effort for a good stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:14:18 pm »
Sinew makes an almost indestructible bow, and relaly helps hold profiles on over stressed bows. I just sinewed a hickory flatbow that was about 60# and I didn't trust it (thought I hear small *ticks* when drawn). I wanted a little extra weight and a more durable bow. I pulled in two more inches of reflex and put the backing down (now 4" of reflex). I'll be giving it one more week in the hot box and then I'll recheck the tiller.

I normally use it for making a short bow into a shooter or making a slightly longer, reflexed bow more durable.