Author Topic: introduction  (Read 1564 times)

Offline cch

introduction
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:21 am »
Hi,

Ive been a long time browser and thought i would go ahead a post a question. Ive  recently cut a stave from a black walnut tree from the back yard. ive seen some Bowyers on this forum use a taper tool. im sure this comes from years of building bows, but i was just curious what dimensions would work well for this particular species of wood. The stave was cut short because of a large knot. So the best i can hope for is a kids self bow, which should work well since this will be my first dive into a stave bow. I've built a few board bows, but realize this is a whole new ball game. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The tree was 4 inches in diameter. I've split it, and sealed the back and ends. Its currently taking up space in the attic. thanks

Offline J05H

Re: introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:36:44 am »
What is the length of the stave?
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline cch

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:59:14 pm »
The stave is 53in. long.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
That's a shorty! How comfortable are you tillering!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline cch

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »
I'm comfortable with tillering. Heres a red oak bow i did a couple summers ago.

I think the tiller came out pretty good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:37:08 am »
Make an Eastern Woodland (Cherokee) style bow that bends through the handle. For durability, you may want to make the limbs a little wide[1 5/8" to 1 3/4"] and neck down at the handle for comfort. Be sure the belly is flaaaaaat! ;D
  Use the sapwood right under the bark for your back. You should be able to get a 25" or 26" draw with this stave and possibly a bow in the 35# to 45# draw weight. If not, every kid needs a bow!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC