Author Topic: Yew limb bows  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Yew limb bows
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:10:25 am »
Are Yew limbs anygood for making selfbows? Have you ever made one out of a limb off a Yew tree? If so do you have any pics? Thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Yew limb bows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:41:50 pm »
Anybody have an opinion on this?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:31 pm »
I have made yew bows but never with a limb. I don't think it would be much different except you will probably have to determine the compression and tension wood. If like other limb bows the compression side is what you want to use...I think! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:25:57 pm »
Thanks Anyone ever make one out of a limb?

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
I have made several bows out of yew limbs,   If the limb is big enough and you can get rid of the centre it acts just like a small tree.   The benefit being that I find the growth rings in limbs to be exceedingly tight. 

If it is a small limb and you simbly remove wood from one side to be the belly while keeping the centre pitch through the handle,  longitudinal cracking is normal but I have never had any problems.

Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »
I have always wanted to find a limb small enough where you can see sapwood on the back and part of the handle.  I ahve seen it before it looked cool. 
Westminster, MD

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:13:44 pm »
I am working on one now its a small yew branch,seems to be holding up fine with a couple dz. shots through it.I'll take pics if it turns out.Hammertime

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »
Thanks guys im going to harvest my limbs the 16, 17, 18 , hope i get some nice ones (fingers crossed). Mr Strunk lives a couple min away from me and he said he would help me process the wood so thats a relief. I will post pics of my haul, and if you have pictures of your Yew limb bows please post them. Thanks for the replys guys

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:19 pm »
Yup, no prob.
Mind it depends how you define 'limb' I've had some fine bows from trees where several stems shoot up from a common root, or two limbs are growing up close together (often the inner faces of those limbs will be free of branches).
I got some great Yew last Winter, first pice was about 5" diameter dead straight 7' long, it was shooting up from a trunk which had long since toppled over, in fact there was a whole row of these lovely straight shoots (mostly too thin...but give 'em 20 years ;D). The second piece was on a huge old spreading Yew, there was a big horizontal branch about 4 foot off the ground and this nice vertical shoot about 4" diameter going up for about 6 foot then fanning out. I took 'em both with the help of my big Sis on a bright frosty morning, followed by a pint and a bite in the local pub...glorious day.
The heart/sap ratio is a matter of luck.
Have a shufti at my website (just google 'delsbows') The bow on the home page (also featured under 'yew Longbows) is from a limb and it's my fave' bow.
Del
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:00:45 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.