Author Topic: pyramid bows questions  (Read 11319 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: pyramid bows questions
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 09:33:21 am »
Congratulations, kinkfeather. Very nice to hear. I rarely add a handle section to a bow. But I've pinned handles from the belly side and into the board itself but not to the back. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

kinkfeather

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »
ken i cut the riser down to 4" handle. but making the handle different.i cut the handle in with 1/8" off set toward the right if you are looking toward the belly of the bow thats for a lefty that brings the string closer to the shelf.the string is still in the center of the limbs.i rounded the fades off on the handle.it is different looking but it suits me.shaved the fades in on the limbs.just a hair more thickness on limbs.starts at the riser 9/16 down to 1/2" at the tips.the bow will be 67"from nock to nock.tomorrow i will start tillering hope it works.kink

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:15 pm »
joe just make sure its bending some out of the fades so you dont over stress the last half near the tips, when this things on the tiller stick it should look more circular then eliptical .you can probably bring thickness at fades down to 1/2 inch alsoso its a constant thinckness.

kinkfeather

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
ken,at the riser 9/16 out to about 1" goes from their 1/2" thickness to tip.with a thin handle my concerns are the handle poping off.i might wrap the handle before tillering what do you think.kink

Offline ken75

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 06:56:36 pm »
what you have should work fine

kinkfeather

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 11:14:06 pm »
started tiller have 1 1/2 check in limb glued check do you think it will hold.the check pop up out of no where. the check is bottom right side. i put long string on it an went to 5,then 8,tillter took very good.went to 10.i went to regular string the brace was 61/4" so i put it back on tillering tree when to 8"tiller looked great when to 10" when to 12" still looked great then to 14"@24 lbs an then crack i hear tooked drow an there it was 1 1/2" split.so i glued an went to lowes an buoght another board.looks like the best grain i have found.would you shoot the bow that checked or would you make it a look at bow an see what i did wrong.ken if i am doing something wrong tell me.this next one i will slow down an be more careful.have any ideas.kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 11:27:40 pm »
i believe when i cut the handle in there was a tiny chip between the handle an limb.i did not pay much attention to it.but that is where the check is.their is alot of stress on the bottom outer side.so the most important thing is to learn from your mistakes.i will take more time an check things out more.kink

Offline ken75

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:51 am »
joe post a pic of the check .might can salvage it if it runs the length but show a pic and we'll go from there. if all else fails you can back with hickory and probably make a shooter. i have had some issues with red oak popping on a grain line under stress usually around the fades. we'll figure some way to hold it together but i could tell you better with a pic

kinkfeather

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »
having trouble posting pic forgot how.it will come to me later.glued handle on #3 bow last night.marked in fades an cut in fades today.ken i need 1 on 1 instructions on how to correctly tiller a bow.can you tell me step by step on how you do your tillering.ken your a good friend you have helped me in many ways thanks alot.i hope some day i can return the favor.kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »

kinkfeather

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 03:50:35 pm »
not much of a picture but the best i can do.kink

Offline ken75

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 09:14:26 pm »
if it doesnt run off the side of the bow you should be alright, if you want insurance back it with 1/8th inch of hickory or oak

Offline ken75

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:16 pm »
joe heres the short way and this may be controversial. cut front view profile you want , then reduce limb thickness till it will start bending . for pyramid same thickness out of the fade to tips. floor tiller till you have six inches of tip movement, long string it till tips will flex evenly for 12 inches. then brace about 4 inches correct limbs to bend evenly.exercise on floor ,raise brace to six inches ,from there bend on tiller tree watch for even bend ,type of bend (elliptical or circular). and watch weight dont pull beyond your target weight at any time during tillering. keep in mind your bending profile should match your front view profile for pyramid it should look circular ,because limbs are bending according to their width. for a bow that is wide untill the last 6 to 12 inches the center part will remain flatter and not bend as much as the tips . hope this helps

kinkfeather

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:06 pm »
thanks again ken.i have picked your brain because i want to not screw up.thanks for the knowledge an patience.i consider you one of my pa buddies.i hope some day i can help someone else out.but it will be a good while.pa has been a real primitive web site.i have not met any one that was not been a real help.we all have the same interest an we all work together.can not wait till huntin season comes.there is some thing special about building your own bows,arrows,broad heads.i hope the fun will never stop.i think we will have a little more pride in our hunts,shooting,an trying to be a bowyer.we are different people so we need to stick together an help each other out at times.the first deer i killed was with recurve an wooden arrows.my best hunt ever.thats why i want to go back to the old primitive hunts it is more rewarding.flaped my jaw long enought.kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »
both bows are shooters.1 48lbs@27 an the other 46lbs@27.1 not finished.kink