Author Topic: Grizzly bandsaw question.....  (Read 6387 times)

Offline BobM

Grizzly bandsaw question.....
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:00:09 pm »
Over the years I have built several selfbows and a few BBOs. Most of them I hunt with for a while and usually wind up giving them to buddys or local kids and building another for me.
 Most all have been built using stave splits worked down with an axe, hatchet, and/or drawknife and on a rare occasion some help from my tablesaw. About three years ago I purchased a Grizzly bandsaw; 16in, 2hp, and still in the crate from a friend who decided he did not want it. Brought it home and it has set in the shop until this week. I finally got it together, adjusted and running.
I have only played on some scrap with it so far and it looks like it may have potential.
Question is, not having used much power tools before, is it really a time saver only on reducing excess wood, or is there other uses I am not seeing for it?

Bob

Online JW_Halverson

Re: Grizzly bandsaw question.....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »
I have made some awesome firestarting kindling out of character bowstaves with my bandsaw.  Note: Excercise extreme care when bandsawing the belly wood off a character stave, easy to take too much out of the bottom side that you can't see.  Nowadays I use a 3# felling axe with a 6" hickory handle to chop staves to dimension.  Beefs up the forearms and shoulders as well as removes wood quickly. 

I have slotted arrow shafts to accept tang type trade broadheads.  Just a little touch up with a folded piece of sandpaper finished the slot.  Set up a jig to control depth of cut and to make sure you are centered in the shaft. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:01:20 pm »
I have a 14" Grizzly with a 1hp motor and love it! With the 16" and 2hp motor you can get a resaw set up for making backing strips and lams for glue-ups. I use my saw for arrows like JW and to cut shafts to length. I use it to cut antler, bone and horn for overlays and have use it to cut rawhide strips that were too thick to cut with a knife.
  Eliminating a few hours of hard work reducing excess wood from a stave is enough reason for me to have a band saw.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »
 I use mine for reducing wood on staves. But when I start getting close I go to my hatchet. Like JW, I've ruined some nice staves with my bandsaw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »
ARE YOU KIDDING :o :o
no seriously, i also have a 14" grizzly and its absolutely the best.  go slow till you get the hang of it.  and learn how to keep it tuned up.  it has tons of adjustment.  what a great tool.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:00:51 pm »
Use it with caution, but by all means use it. Leave a litte extra wood to be removed with hand tools.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »
Hi,

I use mine for making Native American Style branch flutes...but...I have a buddy who is teaching me bow making and I am teaching him flute making...he bought a Griz 14" like mine for the flutes and a few weeks ago after getting used to the saw looked at the stave he was going to start working on and went after it carefully with the bandsaw...he couldn't believe how much faster it went with the saw but the real plus for him was the time not using the spoke shave and other tools on his 60 plus year old elbows, shoulders, back etc.  There was a time he was making so many bows he messed up his joints and had to stop for several years.  Anyway give it a try...carefully.:)

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:32:01 am »
I have a i hp ridged 14 inch. It is a work horse. But you will find many uses. But like said watch character staves as a propeller twist will be too thin on one side . Paul comstock says, cut your sides triangular first then remove material from the top easily.As foe resaw it is the ticket. Good luck Denny

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:39:39 am »
Practice, and patience.  Only way to learn that is to ruin a few staves.  I did.
Westminster, MD

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:24:28 pm »
My bandsaw is the work horse of my shop. Reducing staves, removing excess wood in handles, profiling staves, cutting splices, cutting up hickory scrap for my BBQ grill and dozens of other uses. I wouldn't be with out one.

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:10 pm »
Hey Eric,

I agree...I use the bandsaw first and only when I have to turn to the table saw or radial arm saw.  Much safer than those rascals.

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:31:46 pm »
Bandsaws let you spend alot more of your time finessing tiller rather than slogging away at bulk waste.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 09:00:59 am »
I use mine all the time also,for just about everything,Just remember to keep the side of the stave/board that you can't see away from the blade,when reducing wood from a stave I make 2 cuts on my lines keeping the part I can't see away from the blade.It will leave a High  spot right down the center of the stave,then rasp it flat. It saves a bunch of time.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:14:44 am »
In his lifetime, Antonio Stradivari is said to have made about 1,400 violins and other instruments.   He could have doubled his output with a good bandsaw. Get one, and as stated above, TUNE IT to work it's best.  Then, you will use it for household chores, cutting stove wood, making toys for the kids, oh....and making bows, too. 

piper

Offline BobM

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:50 am »
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. While I am not powertool ignorant, this is the first bandsaw I've had. From the little playing I have done so far it seems to be a winner!

Thanks again,
Bob