Author Topic: Ouch, sonuva............  (Read 3297 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Ouch, sonuva............
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:09:19 am »
So, I made my first attempt at a flemish twist this evening, and it turned out to be a painful experience.  I didn't pay attention and put my twists in the wrong direction on the second loop, and then I was lazy and didn't go get my stringer to test it out.  As soon as I put tension on the string the loop slipped and the upper limb smacked me right across the cheek. 

This whole foray into primitive archery is proving to be pretty dangerous for me.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ouch, sonuva............
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:19:30 am »
Jonathan, that's why I use a bowyers knot for the lower limb.  ;D Dyslexia and A.D.D. don't go good together with Flemish twists!   ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:46:26 am »
Ouchy...  Just remember to do the EXACT same thing to both ends..  twist in the SAME direction for both loops...after you get both loops made, hold one in each outstretched hand and twist opposite to tighten/shorten the string. I guess the only good to come from this is I bet you won't make the same mistake twice!  It almost happened to me on my first string too but it was for a different reason I just didn't put enough twists in it... :)  Good luck on your next string my friend, I promise you it gets waaaaay easier... I can make them in my sleep now, LOL.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:58 am »
yeah, i dont know how to do that on both ends.  for some reason i cant wrap my brain around it so i dont try!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:26:29 am »
The good thing is you didn't get hurt,and it is probably a lesson you won't soon forget. You
will never do that again. It called experience. :) :) I'm with Pat,it's not because my knot slips but because I am lazy and don't want to build another string,so I just use the string I make to tiller the bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:36:37 am »
Pain is definitely a good teacher, because I sure learned my lesson.  I did go back and fix it, and then strung the bow up (very carefully), and even drew it a few times.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »
I cut three in a row one time, while tillering at brace. The bow was fine, and I ended up with strings for kids bows.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:35:45 pm »
hey johnathon did you string up the new bow yet.
bryan irwin

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:10 pm »
Not yet, I was just tinkering with my glass longbow.  You going to be around next weekend?
Cleveland, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
yea ill be home i might go get some rock sat. or sun.
bryan irwin