Author Topic: would like to build an ELB  (Read 2324 times)

Offline aruge

would like to build an ELB
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:35 pm »
I've got a piece of elm I've had for about a year. It's over 6' long. I'd like to try and english long bow that pulls about 60#. So far all I've crafted are a
American flat bows. Would elm work for an ELB? If so, would I start with a stave about an inch square or larger? Thanks for your help.  Al

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: would like to build an ELB
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 10:30:52 pm »
Elm has been used in Northern European bowmaking for thousands of years, and you are certainly not going to anger many people here by saving a piece of Yew until you got a couple of bows under your belt.  Good yew ain't cheap and cheap yew ain't good.

If you are shooting for a bow over 40# draw weight, I would recommend going a bit over the 1" width, but you could still get a 50+# bow from a full 1" width.  You may get a bit more string follow with the narrower profile, but a little string follow makes a sweeter shooter. 

If this is a board bow, be sure to use a simple backing, like lightweight canvas glued on with Titebond II. If it is a stave split/sawn from a tree with an unblemished growthring on the back, forget backing altogether and let the wood shine thru.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aruge

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »
Thanks for your help. It's a stave I cut last summer, so I can go with whatever I want. I'll start with a 1 1/4 inch square and see where that leads. Thanks again,  Al

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
First decent longbow I built was Elm 60#.
It took a bit of set and eventually chrysalled about 2/3 of the way out to the tips but that's probably due to my poor tillering, I was scared to let it bend in the handle back in those days.
You should be fine as long as you let the whole bow work. It won't be as snappy as Yew, but it should make a perfectly good bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline aruge

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:02 pm »
Thank you

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:43:36 pm »
There is some longbow info and pics on my website.
http://sites.google.com/site/delsbows/
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »
My question is it red elm ? makes a pretty bow. Back with linen or hide or bamboo . Make it long (72)inch and 1 1/4 wide at the fade, Taper from handle on the side of the bow to the tip 1/2 inch . This should yeild a 60lb bow if backed. Or a  good dry board with straight grain . I would back with a light colored wood , this makes it look so pretty when finished. Then dip in formbes tongue oil and let it drip off for a glossy finish. Denny, I failed  to mention Shape the bow in a D fashion.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline aruge

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »
I'm not sure what type of elm it is. Took me quite a while to determine it was elm. None of my friends knew what it was. I figured it out by reading this sight and going to the virginia tech dendrology site. I appreciate your help, but I don't have a very well equiped shop, so I won't be backing it. Just rasp and scraper. Just wanted to try an english long bow instead of an american flat bow. I love this hobby, because there are endless possibilities. I just started my first "replica bow". Boiling and recurving it was a new experience for me. Just letting it get re-aclimated before I do any more work on it. Variety is the spice of bow crafting. Always something to look forward to. Thanks for your help.  Al

Offline aruge

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:31 pm »
Derek, I enjoy your website. I've bookmarked it. Lots of good stuff. Thanks,  Al