Author Topic: Another board bow question. :P  (Read 7189 times)

HatchA

Re: Another board bow question. :P
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:16 pm »
That Sam Harper has a lot to answer for!!!  He's the reason I'm here too :D

Looking forward to seeing your finished bow :)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
I'd be interested in knowing how many people on here got there start by browsing through Sam and Jawge's website  ???  ;) Google pulled be to Sam's website.  Anyone know if he is a member on here?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 08:27:25 pm »
Okay guys, I need some serious help. Im tillering, and as far as i can tell, everything looks good, and the next step in the guide is to brace it a few inches, and then tiller. I cant for the life of me get it to brace. :( my string always seems too short or the knot's too small.  >:( What do i do!?

Thanks everyone!

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »
Oh, heres a picture of the tiller, since then I've gotten the right limb pretty much dead even with the left.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 12:48:39 am »
only one suggestion.  Your long string is way to long.  it should hang from the middle just an inch or so.  looking good so far.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 11:11:38 am »
Thin your tips to mid limb , then check your till, after you shorten the string a little. Don't take too much off at a time as you will loose weight faster than you realize. Some fellow prefer to triangle the edges and till from the edges, before they work the flat part of the limb. There again take it easy, just alittle bit at a time. I like to sand a little along the way. By hand that is, just to keep sharp edges down.keep putting on the tree and checking the till.I take a 4or5 inch thin board and screw one screw in the middle. Just screw thru a litlle just to tik the wood you are going over. Now run this gig up and down each limb as you have the bow strung , mark the high area with a pencil and remove a little material. do this till both limbs are the same then move the string on the tillering stick one  more inch and do the same . contniue till your at brace height. Then full till can continue the same way till you achieve full draw length. I make a small tiller stick about 18 inches with 1 inch increaments cut out . I use this to spread the string as I work the bow limbs to brace height. Hope this helped . Denny

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 04:26:55 am »
So keep tillering with the long string?

Hows this sound:

Tiller with long string as per Denny, removing more from mid to end limb.

Move brace height up, maybe to about three fingers from the riser, and keep tillering.

Move it a little more, maybe not full brace, but to the height of the string equal to the height of my fist at the riser and tiller.

Move it to full brace?

TBB Vol. 1 is ordered. I really don't want to wait too long to keep going, but maybe I should wait for it to arrive and read the section on tillering? Also, do I need to make a string at this point? I think the paracord stretches to the point where its no longer convenient.

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 08:52:11 am »
Sam Harper got me into this mess as well. =)

I don't know if he's on here, but he's on another site I hit; I'll shoot him a msg asking if he's on here.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 02:13:30 pm »
I think you're getting pretty close to being ready to make a regular string. When I'm making a new bow, I tiller with a long string, (for me, I use the bow stringer I made), until I get the limbs moving about 8 or 10 inches . Then I switch to a shorter regular bow string. I put a loop on one end, and use a timber hitch on the other end, so I can adjust the string length while I finish tillering.

re: "Has Sam Harper been here?", I just got a pm back from him:

"I've lurked on primitivearcher.com, but I haven't signed up or participated in the discussions there."

Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »
Alrighty. Better build a string jig.  ::)

Wheres the best place to pick up string making materials? Would an archery store have them, or can I only find them online?

Thanks everyone!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 10:32:21 pm »
Got mine from 3Rivers
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 12:23:39 am »
Grayson , I will send you a string  if you tell me how long. You can use drapery chord, temporarly. I will send you a pic of one you can make. And you would pay about 20.00 for one, wood.And your string will cost 8.00 a 1/4 lb spool . Will need directions on how to build. they are free on the net.

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 02:47:12 am »
Denny, sorry, I'm a little consfused, are you selling me a string? Because I'd rather send you twenty for the stave when I can and build a string.  ;) I have found directions, that Sam Harper makes it easy for us! Almost too easy!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 06:54:01 pm »
No the string is free the info is for your interest. I will post a pic of a string making gig for you and the string you can buy from lost nations or rudder bows or kustom king or three rivers.The pic was for if you chose to make one.I will post later, Denny

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 09:07:21 pm »
I'd love to have the string for reference when I make one, and for the finished bow. As of now, the bows at a stand still, since I need a string, and dont have any money to buy a string or materials.