Author Topic: Another board bow question. :P  (Read 7190 times)

Offline GraysonM

Another board bow question. :P
« on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »
Hey everyone! I regestired awhile back and posted a question about a stave that had split when i was thinning it, and kinda let the thread die. Some other stuff came up, and at a recent trip to the lumber yard to pick up wood for planter boxes, I grabbed an oak board i thought would make a good bow. Now that schools out for the summer, I have a little more time to work on things and wanna get at least a couple board bows done.  ;) I have a question about roughing it out though. Im following Sam Harper's guide over on Poor Folk Bows, and have finished the tapers on the limbs, and I'm about to move onto roughing out the belly. On page four of the guide, he talks about taking it down to 3/8 at the tip, sloping up to the handle. When i do this, should I draw a line from the end of the riser to the tip on the side of the limb, or just do it by eye to the 3/8 mark. How do you guys do it? Thanks for the help everyone!!!

The whole guide:
poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

The page of the guide where I've worked up to:
poorfolkbows.com/oak4.htm
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:13:43 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline Frode

Re: Another board bow question. :P
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:58:54 pm »
I draw a line from point to point.  But then, I have trifocals.  And a short attention span.  And a terminally receding hairline.   :D
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »
Short attention span!? You're talking to a sixteen year old!  :D  Alrighty. Ill draw a line and get hopping. Thanks!  ;D

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:28:22 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EPS0Xs_Tw
this is a video build along i did. 19 short parts all together.  little diffferent design than sams. 

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:56 pm »
Construction lines are your friends.  They can eliminate a lot of SNAFU...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EPS0Xs_Tw
this is a video build along i did. 19 short parts all together.  little diffferent design than sams. 

I saw your build along Sulphur! When i founds Sam's i went, hey, I can do that! And then found your build along and found it quite inspiring. Definitely going to be using it as well.

Construction lines are your friends.  They can eliminate a lot of SNAFU...

Words of wisdom! I'll be penciling things out from here on out!

Thanks everyone.

P.S.
Is it okay with the moderators/admins if i post all my questions for this build in this thread instead of creating a new one each time?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:06:22 am »
Sure Grayson, it's OK for you to post all the questions you want here(related to this subject!  ;D). If you would like to share some pics too you will have the makings of a good build along.  ;)
  Drawing guide lines along the sides will help to prevent twist as you tiller the limbs. I use them on stave and board bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »
Okay guys, Another question....

I backed the bow with the fiberglass drywall tape as the guide said to, but there's a small problem.  :'( The glue from the backing keeps dripping down the sides and on to the bow itself. Ive just been checking on it every now and then and scraping the glues off, but im sure theres a better way to take care of this. Suggestions? Could I lay down some wax paper, and then flip the bow over and lay it on that? If it stuck and got glued on, I could jut sand it couldn't I? Or would that screw with the backing too much?  ??? Thats another question I had, because the texture is kind of ugly, could I throw on a mask and sand it smooth? Thanks everyone!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:59:38 am »
Maybe you used to much glue. I usually just wipe it off while it is wet, but if it dries on you just sand it off.
 The wax paper is a good idea, but it might add weight to the bow, but not enough to change performance significantly.
And sanding it down might mess it up, and if you used 2 or 3 layers (like you should) you will probably just sand down to the next layer, which has the same texture. Just my thoughts on it.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:27 am »
It was probably too much glue. I was able to keep an eye on it and wipe most of it off, so ill just sand what doesn't come off when i trim the material. I had considered adding another layer, so that the backing wasn't weakened, but if its just going to have the same texture there isn't much point. I don't know if it would sand to the next layer, and keep the same texture, as sanding would take the most of the raised areas which are what creates texture, but it would leave a face of mostly glue. That doesn't seem like that great of an option either. I may do a test piece. Ill try and post some pictures of the progress tonight. Thanks everyone.  :)

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:12 am »
Hey there Grayson M, I would mask tape the back of the bow before I glue up the the backing. It could still be done now. Hang the bow up in a vertical position to dry once tacky, and the glue will run down hill . you can sand or file excess off later. good kuck Denny

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »
Yea, definitely going to be masking it off next time 'round. I survived the night and waiting for the glues to cure, so the excess backing material has been trimmed, and I cut some string nocks. I'll post a picture of the bow up to where it is later tonight, in the mean time, I have all the pictures of the build up until now in an album in my Facebook. I know we're not supposed to post links, but i figured since I wasn't selling anything or promoting my work. If its a problem, I'll edit the post and take the link out. I'm off to class for now, see ya. Thanks everyone!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069252&id=1252310129&l=5b7c87c593

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »
Looks like you have a handle on making a bow. Hope she bends for you .  Denny

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:44 am »
Wow thanks denny! I really have no idea what im doing though!  :o :) I hope she bends too, floor tillered is where she bends just pushing on the handle while braced on the floor right? And for anyone interested, there's a pic in the album of the backing trimmed and what i think is floor tillered.

Offline GraysonM

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 05:26:02 pm »
Is it okay if I tiller using a length paracord? I dont have a string or string jig yet. It should be fine right?