Author Topic: 5/16" Poplar - Stats  (Read 1905 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
5/16" Poplar - Stats
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:36:48 am »
Good morning folks, i just finished spining 115 poplar shafts from Menards that are 5/16" diameter. I select them for straightness of grain and don't do any hand spining int he store. since i make a lot of bow and arrows that are light weight as gifts i basically keep all spines so i have a good selection when i need to make a batch. The 40-45 and 45-50 shafts i keep for myself, as poplar shafts in this range make great target arrows for the selfbows i make. stats below.

Of the 115 shafts spined:

Spine                Quantity
25-30                4
30-35                33
35-40                43
40-45                26
45-50                9

45# at 27"

Offline Orkraider

Re: 5/16" Poplar - Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:03:22 pm »
ok, I have to know, are you the reason why every menards I go to is just about sold out of any decent 5/16" shafts?  Also, do you mark little black x's on the bad or bent shafts that you don't buy? Someone is, and I've just about decided to start doing the same.

I usually hit the menards in west saint paul, or on university avenue.

Now, I know maple grove is on the other side of the cities from Eagan, but if you ever find yourself near the starbucks at 35e and pilot knob road, stop  in and ask for "Riley" ; I'll buy you a cup of coffee. =)
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »
 I go  the  next  size up,  I spine  them   30's 40' 50's etc.    then I  take  my  taper  tool  and  the  11/32 die  and  chuck the  dowel in a  drill  motor,  and  sand to 11/32,  I  then  respine   and  sort the  weights i  need,  once  sorted  I'll  taper  10"  from  knock  end  and  taper  5/16    I  find  I  lose  10 #  with  sanding  and  tapering   to  me  it's  allmost  a  science,( I'm  not  that smart)   oh  I  just  use  sand paper and  a  drill  and  taper  by  hand,  this  works  good  with  help!!  but  my  buddy  owns  a  hardware  store  and  lets  me  bring  in  my  spine  tester!!  I  keep  him in  arrows  too  good luck  JEFF W

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:11:27 pm »
Hey Ork, I go to the richrield and burnsville menards, i work in Bloomington, so every once in a while i'll take my lunch break at menards. I dont mark the bad ones, but it is a good idea so i don't have to sort through them all again.

Jeff i do a  similar process when i get 3/8" of Birch, Red Oak, Etc.
45# at 27"