Author Topic: Quarter split stave  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Quarter split stave
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:57:04 pm »
Ok I have had about twenty bow worth of walnut staves drying for around a year and a half. Made the mistake of not getting the bark off soon enough and now they are all riddled with bug holes down about three rings from the bark. So I get this idea that if I can use the split side as the back of the bow I may be able to just scrape down the high spots and have a quarter "split" stave that follows the natural grain without sawing and planing the back.
Let me know what you all think, I dont know if it has been done like this, at least I've never knowingly seen it.

I might try a build along with this.
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Quarter split stave
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:29:44 pm »
That's handsome wood.
I guess you are effectively making your own quarter sawn boards and making board bows... I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Never done it myself tho'.
The bugs in the UK are much better behaved ;D.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »
It has been done.
Half Eye does it all the time.
Never done it myself.
I would put some kind of cloth backing on a quarter sawn walnut bow.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:01 pm »
That will be a gorgeous bow if it works out. I would be careful of a density difference between the sapwod and heartwood that may cause isses with tillering.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:09:06 pm »
As RidgeRunner said,  Half Eye does that in preference to any other way of cutting up logs; and makes some of the most fabulous bows that way!  See his article on pg 36 of the Jun/Jul iss of PA. 
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:26:33 pm »
comm. ive built about 8 bows using that method it works great , havent done it with black walnut but i have built 3 quartersawn unbacked black walnut board bows keep em wide and round the edges good shouldnt have any problems.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:18:52 pm »
Ok I knew Rich used quarter-sawn boards But I didn't know he split them. Good to know, I will proceed (and would have anyway)!
I'll probably back it with rawhide.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)