Author Topic: Hickory and string follow  (Read 3895 times)

Offline chuckp

Hickory and string follow
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:00:09 am »
I've made about 6 hickories lately. They shoot and look good. I know hickory is a sponge wood and needs to be dry.
Short of storing the bow in a hot box, or air conditioning, will heat treating and backing the bow prevent set?
I'm wondering if  heat treating the bow with dry heat, give it some reflex, and back the bow with rawhide to keep the reflex spring in the bow.
I understand the bow will still soak up moisture, but will the spring and reflex stay in the bow?

Offline sulphur

Re: Hickory and string follow
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:22:12 am »
chuck, the backing won't do any good.  rawhide is a strong backing, but it won't hold reflex.  You could use sinew,  a couple of layers will hold the reflex and give you a snappy bow.   Heat treating will also help with the string follow, but not as much as just having dry wood.  For the easiest solution go ahead and heat treat the belly.  I live in east tex where its pretty humid most of the year and my hickorys have a modest amount of string follow.   they still shoot well, a night in a hotbox at 100 degrees wouldn't hurt every once in awhile.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 11:26:16 am »
doesn't rawhide provide any elasticity? I know sinew does.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:27:10 am »
I'm wondering if heat treating the bow with dry heat, give it some reflex, and back the bow with rawhide to keep the reflex spring in the bow.
I understand the bow will still soak up moisture, but will the spring and reflex stay in the bow?
My Answer is NO.....the Rawhide Backing will absorb moisture about as much as the Hickory will...so will Sinew....and when it absorbs moisture it will get stretchier...so it a lose ...lose situation

I would heat temper the Belly after I got the desired Reflex in the Bow....seal it well and keep Her dry....and as for Backing Hickory....it's tough to beat Bamboo....jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
Man I am a slow Typer....never seen Sulphurs post........... ::)

Where you at in East Texas Sulphur?  I am at The Top O Texas............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sulphur

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:47:50 am »
I am about 80 east of Dallas.  I grew up in that neck of the woods though.  Pampa Tx.  Being in east texas is like a whole other state for me.  trees and trees and not being able to see 50 miles any directions.  Oh and no wind to speak of,  dang your making me home sick >:D

Offline chuckp

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:15:42 pm »
Never seen Texas, but I don't think I could live anywhere where the ground if flat and there are no trees. I think if the wind constantly blows, it would literally drive me nuts!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
Texas isn't necessarily what we see in the cowboy movies. If I'm not mistaken Texas has about as diverse terrain features as any other state. From mountains(hills  ::) ) to desert to wetlands, trees and no tree areas, salt marshes to fresh water river swamps.
   Poor hickory gets a bum rap because it is more hygroscopic than most other woods. IMO it is still one of the best bow woods out there. Just like many other things in life, if the time or conditions ain't right, don't use it!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:33 pm »
How much set? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline gmc

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:34 pm »
I agree with, Pat.

If you are having issues with Hickory your probally not getting the stave dry enough to start with (most often the case) or storing the bows in a high RH environment after. Any wooden bow needs to be stored properly, the stave dry to start with then sealed properly afterwards. Hickory will tell on ya if you don't do these things, but so will a bunch of others. There are other woods more conductive to high RH environments, Osage and Locust comes to mind.  

My bow rack is in the driest room in the house, store my staves in the driest location possible and seal each one best I can upon completion. The humidity here is pretty high as well, but I've learned to deal with it and my Hickory bows are just fine.  ;D

I'm still trying to find a white wood that's better, but I'm still have a bunch of woods to go.  ;)
Central Kentucky

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »
Heat treating hickory is one way to help it deter reabsorbing moisture. I'm finishing out a new hunting bow, 67" ntn, 2" wide for 10" tapering in a concave line to 3/8" or so tips. It pulls about 75# or so at 29.5" and shoots hard and straight. I didn't temper in any reflex, but even without a finish and after a couple hours of shooting in high heat and humidity, it was standing at 1" or string follow/set. I normally had trouble with alot of set too, but I built a hot box and all my hickory staves get baked there. Until I actually am putting a finish on, I don't leave them out of the box too long. After that, several coats of water proof finish and repeated waxing should help :)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:28 pm »
chuck my expirence is its easy to blame moisture in hickory for its set , i live in a high humidity area and what ive found is when my tillering skills improved and i didnt overstress the bow during that process they started coming out at zero or low set (less than an inch). i would be interested in seeing some pics of your bows

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 04:32:35 pm »
sulphur, I'm in the same area as you (only an hour away from your location) and I know what you mean about humidity. I work with hickory mostly and I try to play it safe with it. What I mean is I give the stave as long as possible to dry but then when I'm ready to work with a piece, I store it indoors all the time. I work with it outdoors, but then as soon as my day is done with it, I bring it back into the more controlled environment in my house. That way, I don't give it adequate time to change much to the high humidity outdoors. When it is a finished bow, it will be stained and sealed (usually with poly) and stored in the house anyway, so I treat it that way during the tillering process.

I don't know if this is sound science, but it seems to work for me as most of my bows have taken less than 3" or usually 2" of set.

-Prof
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline chuckp

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 05:01:40 pm »
"I would heat temper the Belly after I got the desired Reflex in the Bow....seal it well and keep Her dry....and as for Backing Hickory....it's tough to beat Bamboo....jmo"

How would that work out? I mean backing a hickory with bamboo. Would backing a hickory with bamboo, tempering it, prevent any significant set? If I have to build a hot box for my bows I will, but I hope I don't have to.
Maybe I'll name my Hickories Dracula, When I need them I'll pull them out of their coffins (Hot box)
I've built 6 nice bows this summer, all hickories. Two or three hunters. I'm new at this and don't really know what to expect this fall as far as hunting with them and humidity. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Offline gmc

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:51 pm »
What's the average relative humidity in your area? Sorry if I missed it in the post.
Central Kentucky