Author Topic: primitive bow finishes  (Read 11011 times)

Offline ozy clint

primitive bow finishes
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »
in keeping with a primitive bow what finishes can be used for selfbows?  i've been using bee's wax on my douglas fir arrows. applied melted then rubbed off. is this suitable for selfbows?

Offline sailordad

Re: primitive bow finishes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:28 pm »
ive used bees wax as a bow finish and for arrows
love the smell of that bow   ;D
bear grease is supposed to be exceptional natural finish
i would imagine any rendered animal fat would work
bacon grease,lard,crisco etc

only thing i do with them is apply a fresh coat when i plan on using it and one when it gets put away again  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »
Yes on the grease. I heat it  i and then wipe off the excess. Waterproofs well actually. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:13 pm »
I used hand rubbed bear grease on my yew selfbow I made for hunting. Makes a good finish.  Any animal fat or veg oil should work. If you hand rub it vigorously it will heat up from the friction.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:17:47 am »
Just finished a little plains Indian style yew bow with some pine sap finish. Works well, though it's definitely unique in many ways. Just take fully dry pine or fir pitch (has to be not sticky at all, or else the finish will stay sticky for a long time) and dissolve it in denatured alcohol. Rub on with a cloth, and it creates a surface finish like polyurethane or shellac. I remember reading somewhere that they used it to finish dance floors during time periods, because it was tough and gripping.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

HatchA

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:15:58 am »
Been wondering about finishes as I'm getting closer to that stage with my osage bow - slowly and steadily.  As it's my first osage (second bow) I'm keeping it simple - no skins or back-covering and I want to use something that will compliment the natural wood colouring throughout the bow's life.  I have a little tung oil but am always keeping an eye out for other possibilities.  Good to know that I could use bacon grease or lard, though I imagine it wouldn't be the most "non-scented" bow to go hunting with ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:47:03 am »
 I've used deer tallow. I hunted 9 days in the rain and the water still beaded up on the finish.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:20:34 am »
i dont think mixing pitch with de-natured alcohol is "truly" primitive

as far as a bow smelling from the finish when hunting
if your hunting bears and are using bees wax as a finish,i think that would help attract the bears  ;D
after all the whole bow smells like honey for quit some time after applying it
i have one down stairs that i put bees wax on months and months ago
i take it out to shoot it and it still smells like honey,and its a very noticable odor too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 11:42:20 am »
Tallow and Bees Wax melted together makes a great Finish...I use this quite often on my Paddle Bows
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline wodpow

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 04:11:40 pm »
That hard fat that I remove from the deer and started off on the wood stove in alittle pot of  water till the fat cooked out then I strained it out and cooked out the water bet you could make candles from that stuff. bees wax  will attract bees also  but works very good as a finish.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:07 pm »
And for those of you that use the bear grease or deer tallow, don't forget to hang the bow up in the smokehole of your teepee every chance you get.  That is one of the usual storage places for the Sioux.  It keeps nice and dry, the dang dogs can't get a hold of that wonderful chew toy that Two Dogs made, and thirdly...the smoke mixes with the fats and adds additional waterproofing from the formaldehyde and formalin in the woodsmoke.  Same reason why well smoked braintan stays so soft and comfy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline waterlogged

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:45:38 am »
i dont think mixing pitch with de-natured alcohol is "truly" primitive

Denatured alcohol is at least in spirit primitive: it's just distilled alcohol with some poisons added to it to avoid having to pay taxes when shipping it ;) You could easily use moonshine with little to no difference. It makes a remarkably nice finish, and has a really nice, woodsy smell and is unquestionably waterproof with no additional coats needed.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline ozy clint

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 07:18:44 am »
thanks guys. i'll keep with the bee's wax and see how it goes.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 08:10:35 am »
I like rendered bear grease or deer tallow for a primitive finish.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline shamus

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 12:07:36 pm »
Is shellac primitive? It's about a 450+ year-old finish.

If not, then you'll have to resort to grease or beeswax.  Given those two choices, I'd opt for beeswax.