Author Topic: Got a question bout bows  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
Got a question bout bows
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:02:41 pm »
Well guys i don't really know how to go about asking this so here goes.

I will be working for a non profit camp, I will be doing blacksmithing and teaching kids how to make small items and such.
but this camp also need archery equipment IN A BAD WAY! this camp is a church run organization who do tons of great works in the south east Appalachian region.
they have week long camps for under privileged kids( mine included) that give kids that might not have the chance to go on a vacation or really have fun in the summer.they have horses and fishing( fully stocked with cat fish up to 50 lbs!) and they have built an archery range, but alas have no funding to buy extra stuff as they make enough to pay the workers ,and to pay up keep of the camp.
here is there website and at the bottom you can see the needed items. http://meridzo.org/operations/shekinah-village

I talked to the camp director this morning, and he said he has the go ahead from the head honcho to offer tax exemptions.
for every item you donate or make you will get a letter and receipt that shows it went to a no profit organization.

the items we need are bows(of course) ranging from 10 to 30 lbs pull, arm guards or the leather to make them( i can do that but don't have enough leather).
arrows, field points etc etc. you guys know what a archery range needs i know.

I know this is asking alot, but you can make a bunch of kids happy, and lead a better life by having something other that drugs and such to turn to.

God Bless you guys.
Kenneth

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Got a question bout bows
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
I'm in the UK, so shipping would be prohibitive otherwise I'd give you a bow.
Good luck with your work.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:09:22 pm »
I got a bunch of old field points and i will see what all i can come up with.My 15yr old soon to be stepdaughter is physically disabled so I know what a good thing these camps are.I will circulate in my area and we'll see what we can do.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Wolfsongforge

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:24:48 pm »
thanks! those field point will definatly come in handy!

God Bless Ya
Kenneth

Offline J05H

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:10:59 am »
How soon do you need them? I'm sure the sooner the better, but I don't have any kids bows right now. I'd be happy to make one or two if 2 or 3 weeks isn't too long. I only have the weekends to make them. Let me know.

Josh
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Wolfsongforge

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 12:51:09 pm »
no no! don't need em super fast, we are having a fund raising archery tournament and wild game dinner Aug 7th so any time around there cause i think we will be having some late summer and early fall camps there. all i can say is thanks guys and God Bless ya for what you are willing to do for this cause. It means a lot to me but means more to the kids in the area. we have some autistic day camps up here and the results were amazing! they took Right tot the horses, then we had some kids from the mental health clinic that had anger issues and other such and they were all as calm as  you could ever want when they had the horses or the fishing to do! My kids went to one of there week long camps for kids( free to anyone) and even though the head cowboy( and he and his wife are honest to goodness cowboy and cowgirl!)is a good friend of mine, he never gave better treatment to my kids over the others and that impressed me.
to the guys that have donated and to the ones who might. you can either send the equipment to me, or just send it straight on to  the camp sight.

just send an email to drew or Leah at thestablesky@hotmail.com

God Bless
Kenneth

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 12:43:37 am »
How about making up a bunch of pvc bows?  Never made them, but have seen them posted here somewhere....

edit, looks like the thread was moved into "anything else", which seems to have deleted it.  Maybe one of the mods can find it for you?

J
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:53:29 am by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:55:45 am »
I may have missed it, but what age group are you catering to, for the camp?

Offline Wolfsongforge

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »
the ages usually range from 8 to 16.
Some Will have disabilities so wont be able to pull more than 20ish pound pull. but in case ya guys are wondering 30 pound pull would be a reasonable limit to any of the bows made.

again all i can say is bless you guys!

God Bless
Kenneth

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:15 am »
If you can gt me and address i'll get some stuff in da mail for ya.Its not alot but its a start.I have a couple short pieces of cherry,we'll see if i can get a bow thrown together for ya.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA