Author Topic: Mike's Osage  (Read 4785 times)

PeteDavis

Mike's Osage
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:48 pm »

I think I may drive over to ATAR at Beckley, W.Va. and grab a few staves from Mike's Osage. He is listed as a vendor.

What can I expect to see in his stash and what do good staves cost these days?

PD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Mike's Osage
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:35:20 pm »
If like at the Tenn Classic, Mike had 300 staves to choose from. I bought 2 staves and he gave me a 2" pole... but I'm special!  ;D     All good bow wood, most is reasonably priced and some pretty cheap. Generally what Mike sells is freshly cut. Sometimes he has year old wood but all is good bow wood and Mike(or his Dad) will do you right. Hang around and they will feed you!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:37 am »
he has a ton of wood at fair price .
bryan irwin

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
You might have to wait on Supper quite a while.....Mikes Dad lost about all His Cast Iron at Pappys this Spring...when the Flood came....it all floated down stream..... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 12:57:37 am »
Mike and Ken are good people.  :) They have some of the best osage in the country.  I buy wood from them every time I see them.  None of their wood has ever let me down either...    :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:17:05 am »
 I met Mike and his dad at the Hill shoot. They are some fine folks. Real nice Osage and Hickory. Bought another roughed out stave. (he talked me into it ;)) TWISTED, SNAKEY AND A KNOT HOLE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE UPPER LIMB :o. Ken asked me if I was up to the challenge yet? I told him absolutely NOT :D. I had no idea how to straighten the twist or snakey out of it ???. Well. Ken stood there at the the jigs they used, and went through every step of how to make that ugly piece of stick into a bow. Now it's up to me to put that into practice. Not only all of that. He gave me a great price on it too ;D

Don't pass up the opportunity to grab up a few pieces while you're there. Wish I could be :(
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:25 pm »
Picked up some Mulberry, and Osage from Mike's Dad, at the Pre Spring Arrow Fling. Good wood, fair price, and the Mulberry made a nice bow. I'm still eyeballing the Osage, as it losses water weight.  ;)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:29 pm »
Dang. How'd I miss the mulberry? :( Oh well. Next time ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Scott Gray

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 12:24:19 am »
Great folks to deal with. i bought a nice hickory blank at the Hill shoot and have it floor tillered and ready to start tillering.
Semper Fi

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:25:54 am »
Great People.  Never ran into anyone who knows Osage as well as Mike and his Dad.  I bought a little piece of Osage from him and ended up with two really neat kids bows.  His Osage has some amazing rings in it.  Both of the kids bows have only 2 rings in the limbs.  His Osage has a lot better ratio on the rings than we do here in KS.  The wood works just a little different than ours does.  His is also very clear with few pin knots.  Great wood and people.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 03:26:47 pm »
You can expect "Osage Heaven", like this.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:29:11 pm »
Oh, now you are just taunting us.  :P
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 11:33:14 pm »
I just got a piece from Mike the other day and it was wonderfully cured.  The curls pull off with my spokeshave like they were butter.  Supposedly he doesn't have his wood curing for years, but it sure acted like it. 

Mike...thanks for a great piece of wood.

-john
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 03:42:00 am »
JW- I love that feeling with a spokeshave and they are curling off perfect ! ;) One of my favorite tools for sure.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 12:30:15 am »
That's why I use the Gatco Knife Sharpening System on my spokeshave blade.  Sorry for hijacking the thread, getting off my soapbox now.

(it also sharpens broadheads really well)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.