Author Topic: BBO  (Read 1198 times)

Offline rmjames

BBO
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:54:04 am »
When making a BBO bow does the osage have to be taken down to one ring or does the backing make that unnecessary??
I have some 2 inch thick osage boards that are about 3 feet long and am wondering if I can splice the pieces together in the handle area and then back with bamboo and make a decent bow...
thanks, Rick

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: BBO
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:56:54 am »
That'll work fine.  With the backing, you do not have to chase a ring.   Good luck!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline rmjames

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:03:12 pm »
OK, Thanks
Since chasing a ring is not required then what would be the desired grain orientation for a BBO bow?
Rick

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:50:13 pm »
  Quarter sawn is good, but flat/back sawn works as well just watch for grain run off, the less run off the better.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:34:50 pm »
  Quarter sawn is good, but flat/back sawn works as well just watch for grain run off, the less run off the better.

dont know if this is necassary for a backed bow
i have made a few boo backed hick bows that the grain was horrible(i mean HORRIBLE ) in the hickory
runoffs all over the place,they are still shooting.i have one yet as my own bow.crappy piece of hickry backed with an uneven (in thickness) piece of boo
i made this to show that the back nor the belly had to be "primo" pieces to make a bow from
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd