Main Discussion Area > Bows

cutting trees

<< < (2/4) > >>

Hillbilly:
Better safe than sorry, but I've never had much problems with ash checking. I've had a freshly-peeled elm stave split all over, though.

John K:
Thanks for the input everybody ! I think i will try a couple both ways and see what happens. Hopefully next year at this time i'll be shooting one of them.  ;D

GregB:

Must admit the vast majority of our white wood has been hickory. We've cut a lot of that and follow the method I described to the letter. We havn't worked with a lot of ash though, but I would handle it as I'm used to doing with hickory if I were cutting some for myself. We also treat hornbeam the same way when we've cut that. ;)

John K:
Well, I got to cut a Black Ash off the porperty i was turkey hunting on. After splitting and taking the bark off i see there is about an inch of white wood, is this the sap wood  ???  Do i need to remove this wood or is it ok to leave on  ???

I sealed the ends now i just have to wait for it to dry :-[ :-[

I tell you that was some stuff splitting on that ASH should make a good strong bow ;D

snedeker:
That's the sapwood alright.  Leave it on and its what you want the limbs to be comprised of. I also jjust seal the ends of ash

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version