Main Discussion Area > Bows

cutting trees

<< < (3/4) > >>

Hillbilly:
Update from Hillbillyland: I cut a nice hophornbeam about 5" in diameter a couple weeks ago (only one I've ever found around here straight enough to make a bow) and carried in about a mile out of the woods on my shoulder. I split it in half,  peeled the bark off the good side, and since I don't usually have trouble with whitewoods checking, I just sealed the ends. After a few days in an unheated, dank shed, the sucker (A:) pulled itself into a nice reflex, and (B:) Checked all to hell.
Seal the back, too >:(  >:(

Badger:
I would seal the back, seen too many check

Justin Snyder:
Nobody can tell you that it will check for sure if you don't seal the back. But everyone can tell you it wont hurt anything to seal the back. With time spent looking for a descent tree to cut and cutting and hauling and splitting, another 5 minutes to seal the back is minimal.  Why take a chance on wasting that time and effort. Seal the back.  Justin

John K:
I sealed the backs on 2, that i left up north to dry in the wood shed ( next year turkey hunting we are going to build bows )  The other 2 i only sealed the ends and they are in my house in the corner to dry. I might have to move them out of site though, since everytime i look at them i want to start shaving wood.  :o :o   Will keep you posted as to the results.

Justin Snyder:
Shave them suckers down to near bow dimensions so they dry faster.  Justin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version