Main Discussion Area > Bows

cutting trees

(1/4) > >>

John K:
Hi All, I have a question for you. Next month i will be cutting an Ash tree down for staves, my question is once i have it down i'm going to split it peal the bark and seal it. I would like to know if i should seal the whole stave or leave the back alone.

I hope this makes sense ???   

Thanks FB

GregB:
FB, I'd scrape off the cambium layer off the back and dry it with towells. Then seal the back and ends of the staves. Try and store them out of direct sunlight and higher temperatures where they can lose moisture more slowly.

John K:
Thanks Greg ! That is what i'll do.

Wish me luck as this will be my first time trying to make a bow. FB

markinengland:
I have had good results splitting the ash as soon as it is cut, peeling off the bark and sealing just the ends. Splits into half or quarters work OK so far on all the stuff I have cut, maybe 3 inches wide if a larger tree.

tom sawyer:
I've never sealed the backs on whitewood staves.  Only very occasionally have I seen even a few checks, and those have been on wood I left in the sun.  I don't think it will hurt to coat the backs, they'll dry a bit more slowly and you'll have to carefully remove the sealant before finishing the bow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version