Author Topic: Where to get rawhide  (Read 1498 times)

Offline chuckp

Where to get rawhide
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
Where is a good place to buy some rawhide. I'll save my deer hide this fall along with the sinew, but in a pinch, besides three rivers, any good sellers?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Where to get rawhide
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:35 am »
Chuck, If you only need enough for a bow I can send you some.   You might try Crazy Crow, Moscow Fur and Hide(?) and possibly a few other places. What you ideally want is deer or goat rawhide because they are thin but strong.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:43:49 am »
I buy a lot from the local Tandy Leather Company....but if they don't have what I need....then I buy from......springfieldleather.com.....chichesterInc.com........zackwhite.com....all of these places sell thin Rawhide that is suitable for Bow Backing....I usually buy Goat if they do not have deer
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:08:47 pm »
chuck at the risk of stirring the poop pot , you can buy a rawhide dog bone soak untie and stretch it over the limbs join at the handle ,wrap and let dry. cut off excess when dry and then sand . because as it will be said soon!, the thickness will vary in the rawhide but can be sanded fairly uniform. i and others have used this method and its a cheap (3 or 4 bucks) alternative to ordering rawhide.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »
Thanks for your offer Pat, I have plenty of time to get some. Good links on the where-a-bouts of rawhide.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
Mike Yancy at PineHollow Longbows sells rawhide backing strips that are pretty nice.