Author Topic: has this ever happened to you?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

has this ever happened to you?
« on: June 26, 2010, 12:37:25 am »
so im tillering a maple board flatbow/ pyramid bow and i find that everytime it bends one of the limbs twists. This happened to me on another piece of maple and well that one blew up! Im thinking of putting a canvas or linen backing, or just something on it to try and stop it from breaking. The bow is 58 inches long and im hoping for 50 @ 26 im not sure itll make it with that twist. So has this happened to you and if so what did you do? did the bow blow?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: has this ever happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:50:30 am »
Sounds like you have one of two possible Problems I can think of ...off hand...number 1...you are taking more wood off with the Dominant Hand...putting more Pressure on the Scraper with you dominant hand is a problem many have....or....number 2....you have some way screwed up Grain...and the wood is twisting with it...I have had this happen with Maple and Red Oak before
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 01:03:55 am »
im leaning towards the grain explanation. i noticed this since i first startd bending it floor tillering style and i kinda knew it would give me trouble. now im just thinking if i should invest more time on this one or move on.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:55:39 am »
Are both Limbs Twisting in Oposite Directions? The Twist will not really hurt...just looks weird...I have a Red Oak Pyramid Bow that flexes in oposite directions...and it is still in one Piece ...and still shoots fine...now it's only a 45 pound Bow...but it hits where I point it..and has had no Ill Effects to the Twisting....so far!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 10:11:15 am »
I would say that one side of your limbs(thickness) is thicker than the other. This is a typical situation even for seasoned bowyers especially if using a vise attached to a work bench. Usually the bowyer has a tendency to remove less wood from the side closest to the bench which leads to uneven limb thickness and the limbs twist as they are drawn.
  Feel the limb thickness with your thumb and fore finger along and across each limb. You will probably feel the thickness differences and generally the thicker side will be on opposite sides of each limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:18:05 am »
im with Pat on this
uneven side thickness of the limbs
ive done this several times,well on almost every board bow.  ;D ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:28:40 am »
                                                Told Ya...it would be One or the Other...... :o
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »
thanks! ill check again and report back.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY