Author Topic: How long strung??  (Read 4960 times)

Offline rmjames

How long strung??
« on: June 24, 2010, 06:41:34 pm »
How long are ya'll willing to leave your selfbows strung up--I've seen some people unstring them between targets at 3d shoots and obviously you have to keep it strung up while actually hunting??--and does temperature come into play as to how long you'd leave it strung up--it gets hot here in Georgia!!??
thanks, Rick

half eye

Re: How long strung??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 06:47:19 pm »
rm,
     I make self bows, and go huntin a lot. Mine dont get unstrung from the time I go into hunt till I'm all done huintin, maybe 12 to 14 hours....never had any trouble......as a matter of fact I made a bow (was posted here on PA) and gave it to a friend out in Wyoming....it was a bit too much draw weight so I told him to leave it strung for week and then try it......well it didn't loose an ounce. Thats just me and my bows so I sure dont speek for nobody but me.
Rich

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:54:51 pm »
i dont like to leave mine strung.  it might depend on your string height too.  but, ive not been doing this very long so i cant say for sure!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »
When I'm done shooting, I unstring. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:27:18 pm »
if ya gotta unstring between shots at a 3d shoot sumthing's not right. I leave mine strung while hunting, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:04:13 pm »
Some of my bows like a few warm-up shots to be tack drivers. I like to leave them strung, some times up to 8 to 10 hours, no problems

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »
i leave mine strung till im done with whatever im doing targets ,hunting, might be different for flight shooting , but hunting bows are tools and i dont pamper my tools ! what part of GA ?

Offline rmjames

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:10 pm »
Thanks guys, In Augusta Ken.
rick

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:46:31 pm »
spent lots of time over there growing up had friends in waynesborro, welcome to PA

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 12:01:13 am »
Like everyone else said, I leave mine strung until I'm done shooting for the day(8-10 hours).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 12:07:37 am »
I leave my bows strung as long as they need to be strung. It is way less stressful(on the bow) to leave a bow strung than one being strung and unstrung over and over again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 12:49:30 am »
Same as everyone else, I really don't worry about how long my bow has been strung until it has been at least 7 or 8 hours.. I worry more about how long I hold my draw, seems like that will stress a bow WAY worse than just having it braced... Then I start to worry about losing arrow speed and picking up string follow. Usually isn't a problem though... Welcome to PA!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aaron

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 01:24:09 am »
ok confession time: i usually limit it to one hunting day- 12 hours or so, but.... this year i accidentally left my hunting bow strung for four days. AHHHHHHH i nearly had a heart attack when i realised what i had done. well, it gained almost two inches of string follow, and probably lost 5 pounds, but all in all i am surprised at how well it still shoots. BBB (boo backed boo) 66 inches, rigid handle pyramid. stave had one inch reflex, finished bow took i inch set for a straight profile- now it has 2 inches deflex when first unstrung, going back almost straight after a days rest ( but only the JUST unstrung profile counts).
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »
Same as most everyone else,as long as I need to. If I don't plane on shooting for a while I unstring.
I leave them strung a half a day a lot during hunting and if on a 3 d course I will unstring if I am taking a break,for a drink and a burger.  :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 02:42:17 pm »
Thanks guys, In Augusta Ken.
rick
That means I'm not the only wood bow guy within 100 miles I'm in Bartow not too far from Louisville.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?