Author Topic: Finishes for Sinew  (Read 3045 times)

Offline bushman

Finishes for Sinew
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:14:26 am »
After you have put sinew backing on a bow with hide glue what type of finish do you put on it to water proof it? Would you use the same stuff for a rawhide or fish skin/snakeskin backing also glued with hide glue?
Bushman

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finishes for Sinew
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:22:23 am »
I use Tru-Oil on all my bows, even the sinew backed ones but usually they have snake skins on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:26:43 am »
 I back mine with snakeskin and spray Spars- Polyurethane
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:46:48 am »
Just like Pat and Eddie.  :) Either,or. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline shamus

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:06:01 am »
Jay Massey made sinewed bows and used them in Alaska. He had a finish  that has been since benn called called "The Massey Finish".

The Massey Finish is Two Ton Epoxy thinned with acetone, ratio of 4:1 Acetone to Epxoy, I've heard.

PA thread: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3583.0.html

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
I always finish my Sinew with Snake Skins...about as Waterproof as any Finish will be...Even Massey's Finish will just give you Water Resistance...there is no true way to Waterproof Wood...without totally Encapsulating it in say....Plastic or Glass...if the Finish is Porour...you will have Moisture penetration....just my two cents
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »
Dick Robertson,personally told me the story of how Jay lost his sinew backed bow,overboard on a float trip once.They found it floating in the river,some time later and Jay used it the rest of the hunt.Id say his finish is a bit better than just water resistant,wouldnt you?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
 Todd, sounds like a good finish to me. I've used mine in the rain all day. I noticed after all day the skin got soggy. That's when I switched bows out.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:29:47 pm »
My Massey Medicine bow has a coat of Massey finish, 4 coats of Tru-Oil and spray satin poly over that. It still fluctuates 10# to 20# depending on the humidity. I know of nothing that will stop the hygroscopic effects of wood and still allow the bow to be usable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:50:13 pm »
 I really think it doesn't matter what kind of finish you use, but what kind of wood your bow is made of. Certain wood handles the moisture better than others.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:44:54 am »
I don't know of any Wood Finish that is Water Proof...period...unless it's Fiberglassed...or dipped in Plastic...and I still would bet against it being Water Proof...Like Pat said it's not possible to stop hygroscopic absorbsion
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gpw

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:04:07 pm »
  For waterproofing wood I use a mix of 75% Mineral Spirits , and 25% polyurethane ...  use this for waterproofing many things ... a few coats on wood , sanded and then some well rubbed  Tru-Oil works out great on bows  ... Over sinew , snakeskin is the the accepted covering ... 10 million Indians can't be all wrong ... and sometimes you get to eat the snake too ... Yum !!!   Don't have to be a particular snake either ... any seem to work , some just look better ...  ;)   some taste AWFUL...  :o