Author Topic: need some pointers on a board bow  (Read 6526 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: need some pointers on a board bow
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 11:18:24 am »
Look at the edge grain and pick a straight grained board. I allow 2 run outs per limb for a 50-55 # bend in the handle bow. The type of board cut does not matter except to say that quarter sawn boards need the edge grain straight with no run outs. Beginners should back their first few bows because they are beginners. I prefer burlap, silk and linen because they are natural materials.  More on my site. One ore thing-if you want a bow 45-50 you can go 3/8" wide. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:23 am »
I build lotsa board bows and consider myself a fare bowyer. Here is an Idea.. Do as the others have said fine a nice straight grain board, My preference is Ash , not red oak as it is always too dry or brittle for my liking. I know fellows use it and have success with it, but they probably were more fortunate Than I in choosing the right stave.You will probably have to order a stave from a lumber yard, Such as agway,84 lumber, or other source. But I think it is well worth the trouble. Ash has strong tension character and Usually if straight grain requires no backing. My choice for backing is hickory or bamboo. Sometimes linen if it is to be a elb bow. Now for the trimmings, I use a chalk line fine the center of the bow and blink a line. Measure to the center36 inches from each end, this will yield a 72 inch bow. The longer the more forgiving and I think easier to tiller if you don't narrow it too much for your first bow.After I got my line and find the center, I measure 3 inches to the left of center mark and 3 inches to the right. This is the handle now measure from the center dot the mid limb and make a mark at 16 inches and repeat the same on the other limb. at the end of your board Take a compass and set for1/4 inch on your chalk line and draw a circle on you line at the end of the bow ,go to the mid limb and spread the compass to 3/4 of and inch and put on your mark and draw another circle .Proceed to the handle area and choose the outside dot of the handle and make the circle a 2 inch circle. The radius of course is 1 inch. Now go to the other limb and do the other side the same way.Now take a yard stick or straight edge and connect the circles. There is your bow outline.You can use a band saw or saber saw or plane . to work the edges. I would purchase sureform rasp file at homedepot and shape the bow with that. Then  proceed with other scrapers for the tilling.You red oak builders need not yell at me , I just don't like red oak for a first bow. However it is ready available to everyone and make a pretty bow .Good luck on your project. If I can help anymore check out my web and e-mail www.jerbowden.net.. Denny

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:26 am »
I hate to be argumentative denny, but if I were to  order board staves I'd  have to settle for less than suitable grain possible. If I couldn't examine it I wouldn't order it. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 10:49:51 am »
Good point, jawges, but I have had such good luck with ash following proto call wasn't always necessary. However, I teach a lot of students on ash because it is so forgiving.When I order, I specify What I desire and so far riff cut or kerf cut have come out pretty good for me. And if you order only 6 foot it usually is pretty straight.Denny

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »
When I speak of grain, my friend, I am not talking about the type of board cut. I  am looking to see if the grain runs end to end on the stave. Check this. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boards.html
Set Happens!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 02:59:23 pm »
George is right. I have ordered lumber from a large reputable bow supplier and still gotten crap. I do still order from time to time and knowing the right people to order from makes a huge difference, but it is still gambling when you order without seeing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sulphur

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »
I have gotten some hickory from justin at Gibows (he was with bowstick at the time) that awefully good.  of course keep in mind, Hickory is awefully tough.  Still i would not buy boards without running my own hands over them.  Also addressing the original post,  here is my little video build along.  Not as much info as Jawges site, but another source couldn't hurt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EPS0Xs_Tw

Offline jp gray

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
thanks,yep i have been to justins web-site,would love to get my hands on one of them horn bows!
john paul gray

Offline jp gray

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:06 pm »
this bow building is getting fun! when i finish this one im going to have a go at  a hickory board.,its hard work with no power tools ,but its gonna pay off in the long run ,once i get a real good one built and harvest a deer with it along with some rivercane and stone.man cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!,,SEE YALL HAVE DONE CREATED A MONSTER!!!!!
john paul gray

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
jp gray , If it would help, I will send you a perfect bow stave cut to your dementions or mine. And you can hack away. Just give me something towards shipping. There again you don't know me ,but I am a little closer than a lumber yard. Choosing a board is really important and straight grain is off the essence . I didn't me to head you in the wrong direction, with the ash at the lumber yard. I just don't know your suppliers. Sometimes you can walk in a wood supply store and fine the board you desire. But usually you have to sort thru alot to find the perfect one for a selfbow, And I have done all the above at homedepot and read a lot of u tube biuld alongs of red oak boards that broke . Make the bow long and wide and back with some of the backing jawges suggested. and you should do well. Jawges no hard feelings taken. Was just my opinion, I get so little time these days to comment on the forum . I should slow down on the typing and think thru what I said. You will fine I am a honest careing guy and would not intentionally give bad advise. Some times I guess we have to read between the lines (assuming ). Anyway , thanks for allowing me to share. Denny