Author Topic: Meeting with Gary Davis... awesome.  (Read 2967 times)

Offline jwarwick

• Paying Advertiser to PA... StavePress
    • StavePress
Meeting with Gary Davis... awesome.
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:45:37 pm »
Hi all,

Ever since I met Gary Davis at the Tennessee Classic, where I watched him be so patient and helpful to dozens of student bow builders for several days in a row, and from sun-up to midnight and beyond... giving advice that was heart-felt, well earned, and tightly packaged...I wanted him to try my StavePress and give his straight up opinion.

Well, I didn't bother him at the Tenn. Classic, because he was literally too busy.

I saw him again this past weekend at the far end of the Cloverdale grounds... he was still pretty busy. But I had an inside track on getting his attention... my demonstration booth was near the bar-b-que stand!

Sure enough, on the second day I was demoing the StavePress by stripping off some yellow wood from a hard stave when Gary tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "What do we have here"?

I spent just half a minute telling him about what the StavePress does for you, when he asked to hold my drawknife. He spent some time hauling strips and chunks off the stave- saying that this thing was really impressive. Then he abruptly said he had to go and get his draw knife. So he walked clear across the grounds to his area, retrieved his customized draw knife, and went to work at the stave again.

Shortly, he stopped and said that he would whole-heartedly recommend the StavePress to anyone who builds bows! He said, "The StavePress works, is dependable, and versatile [because it is portable]. It holds the wood much better than a vise, and is a heavy student-proof unit."

I am very proud to have someone who is so well respected in our bow-building community, and such a decent guy, endorse the StavePress!

Here are myself and the mentor at Cloverdale... www.stavepress.com

Buy a good piece of land and put your heart into it.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Meeting with Gary Davis... awesome.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »
How is it anchored to the ground?
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:13:11 pm »
How is it anchored to the ground?
David
David,

In your yard under a shade tree, mount it on top of a 6-inch x 6-inch wooden post that is concreted in the ground (like a fence post).
In your yard or your favorite park, C-clamp it to a picnic table.
In your shop or garage, either permanently bolt it to your work bench or temporarily C-clamp it there so you can remove it from your bench when done.... then store the StavePress  on a shelf in the garage so your bench is free.

There is a demo video on my website... and a fathers day sale going on now through next week! 
www.stavepress.com

regards, Jon

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »
This is kind of like an opportunistic testimonial.
 Nothing wrong if you are paid advertiser on the site but this is less about meeting a high up guy in the industry that everyone looks up to and more about him endorsing your product. Or so it seems.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »
Pat, Jon is a paying advertiser and is entitled to endorse the Stave Press here on PA.
  Jon, Having Gary praise your Stave Press is a good endorsement for sure.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »
PatM is right. Nothing wrong with trying to get some new business, but take it from someone who does marketing for a profession. If you use testimonials in your marketing, make absolutely certain you have the author's explicit permission before using his words. It a direct quote doesnt work from a marketing perspective, don't use it, and just say Gary Davis enjoyed using it.

I checked your website and didn't see Mr. Davis' quote.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »
Dane,

As I said in the post... this was just this past Saturday when Gary visited me at Cloverdale. I don't know about your web designer, but mine is a busy guy and can't post an endorsement or new pics up for me at the drop of a hat.

I know this is the internet, and you have a right to be skeptical of all you read... I'm doing my best to prove myself and my product's merits. I realize this takes time. Soon you will see Garys endorsement on my site (along with Ted Fry's- Raptor Archery). Gary was truly excited about this, and graciously gave me permission to use his words- he's a good Dude and knows a ton about bows and wood.

Lastly, I am lucky enough to be the first banner advertiser on PA after HorseFeathers- (a PA subsidiary I understand). As such, I pledge to post honorably and truthfully.

Best Regards, Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:10 am »
Cool Jon,wished I had had more time to try it out at the Classic,I know it looked like it would work like a champ,if Gary  says he likes it you can bet he means it, Old Dog,sometimes he is hard to change but when he sees something that works he will change at the drop of a hat.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jwarwick

• StavePress
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »
Pappy-
Sorry I didn't get to spend more time with you too at the Classic! You had so much to take care of... constantly. But you were cool as a cucumber the whole time. Good skills for leading a big event.
Hey one of your club members or hunting buddies bought a StavePress from me at Cloverdale- I can't remember his name... nice guy.

Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 07:17:44 am »
Cool,hope it was a club member,then maybe I can try it out. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good