Author Topic: buying wood  (Read 5183 times)

Offline rover brewer

Re: buying wood
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »
 ken, what was the wood you used and what caused the break.
john 3:16

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:03:21 pm »
ash backed black walnut , i had all the pressure concentrated at the fades and it broke bracing , that was my first attempt at laminated r/d next one will be better

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 11:49:15 pm »
Menards has an unusually good supply of select straight grained oak.

I usually maybe find one good board at lowes or home depot but the Menards next to my house has boards upon boards of straight grained oak...I buy a board every time I go and just put it away for later to stock my stave pile

Offline wildman

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 12:20:51 am »
Lots of amish cabinet makers about 70 miles south of you. You can get kiln dried hardwoods hickory oak,walnut,etc. only place I buy wood very reasonable and they will let you sort through untill you find the grain you want alot of bows can be made for around $20 Crittenden Co. Ky
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 12:24:00 am »
woops replied to wrong geographic location (never drink and type) ;D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 08:53:00 am »
I get it wildman, you mean 70 miles north, again thanks I have always wanted to visit the armish now I have a reason.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 08:27:26 pm »
found so nice red oak at home depot and I'm starting to male a pyramid bow, following a post on trad gang site it seems easy to follow and I have high hopes. This site is very helpful as well and I thank all who has given me advice.I'll let all know how it comes out.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:24 pm »
Good and you should back it. I suggest silk, linen or burlap. BTW I suggest you make a bend in the handle bow patterend after the board bow build along on my site. You can go narrower (1 3/8 in) for a 45# bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:01 pm »
Thanks jawge I took a look that looks great and something a greenhorn like myself could do, I saw some nice red oak about that size at lowes soon as I finish this bow I'm going to give yours a try I may have a lot of questions for you when I start, you said I need to back my bow what about snake skins will it be enough.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 11:48:06 pm »
 Mike Yancey, a sponsor of this site has an excellent choice of bow boards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:38 am »
I've got a nice hickory stave from Mike at PineHollow Longbows.  Finally got 'er ripped down to the first growth ring and I am almost disappointed with how plain it is!!!

I have been working with osage character staves that have lotsa pin knots and twisted limbs and cracks and all kinds of crap.  Then I got this straightgrained hickory with no knots, no twist, no problems to deal with and I hardly know what to do with myself.  I followed the radial grain down the center of the stave and I might have just as well grabbed a bloody chalkline and snapped the line.  I'm talking seriously straight.  I couldn't mess up this stave unless I went after it with a chainsaw while drunk and suffering a serious head injury! 

Yeah, Mike will sell you a good quality, plain grain hickory bowstave for a decent price.  I recommend this for your first stave bow because it has a high chance of becoming a decent bow for you right outa the gate.  The boards he sells will be ok, too.  Build one of those to get your feet wet, then order one of his hickory staves.  Then keep ordering more staves from more and more dealers until your family leaves you and your friends stop calling.  Just give in, you know you are already addicted!      >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
thanks for thar info I don't think I'm ready for a stave still learning about the growth rings and all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Hitting the growth ring on a stave is not as scary as many people let on, got anyone close by that could walk you through it your first time?

With white woods it is only a matter of getting the bark off with a little care along the way.  If you are lucky enough to have something like hickory close by you can cut and split your own, pulling off the bark when it is still wet.  Just remember to put on a good thick layer of shellack, polly-you're-insane, or other oil based wood finish to keep the back from checking. 

Hitting heartwood growth rings on osage sometimes takes a little more skill, but it is still easy enough when someone shows you what to look for.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.