Author Topic: short hickory ?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Boots

short hickory ?
« on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:59 pm »
I have a 52"  hickory board, need suggestions on style and dimension for something that short..    thanks, Boots 
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!

half eye

Re: short hickory ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »
hey boots,
      Ya didn't say what weight or draw ya needed....or if you were looking for a rigid grip or bendy type. But if you went with a "slim" pryamid type with rigid grip you ought to be able to get 27" draw and respectable weight. You can also go with a Native type "D" bow and should be able to get decent weight and maybe 28" draw without too much trouble. Hickory is good wood and tough.
      It would be easier to give you some dimensions if ya could say kinda what ya was after, and the dimensions of yer board.
Rich

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:08 am »
if i was you i would go bendy handle slightly reflexed tips ( to keep string angle open and help string stay on) striaght taper the limbs and shoot for 1 3/4 wide at fades if your board is that wide . you can figure on some set so stay over your weight target . if you want a 45 tiller for 50. thats just me though im sure someone will offer better advise

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:33:14 am »
Well all in all I think it is preferance on which bow as u can make just about anything out of it at that length except for a true ELB.  Also like Half eye mentioned also need to know what u are capable of making?  I mean are u able to make a static recurve, a holmegaard, pyramid etc... many styles or types can be applied...  Me myself would make a flatbow or a plains style bow and bend it in the handle as well as flip the tips.  Keep us posted!

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Boots

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:56:16 am »
52" x 1.75" x 7/8"  is what I have..   I  particularly fond of that  locust d- bow woodland roamer posted a couple of days ago ..     I have completed two bows ( both d- bows)  as of now, thats the only kind I have been able to get tillered correctly.   thanks,  boots
SPITTIN AND WIDDLIN !!!!