Author Topic: Paraffin Finish Q  (Read 3471 times)

PeteDavis

Paraffin Finish Q
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:21 pm »

I have taken my Elm and Hickory bow to 220 grit, and given it a hit of Watco Danish Oil. Really brought out the grain.

I have done a zillion built-up finishes, varnishes, urethanes and oils.

This time, I'd like to use the linseed base to build up a good wax finish. Non-glare and utilitarian.

Could someone post a formula or method, to get a good paraffin layer on my bow? Either a temperature regime or compatible solvent?

Thanks in advance-PD

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Paraffin Finish Q
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:47 pm »
PM Halfeye, he has a mixture of 3 things that make up the type of finish you're looking for: non-glare utilitarian.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »
I've never did a paraffin wax finish over an oil, but I have finished with just paraffin.  It was a really simple process of just melting the stick of wax with a heat gun set at a low temp.  Dropping drips on the bow and "moving" the wax around with the gun.  It soaks in at first and then when the wood is saturated it piles up.  Then I just scrape and rub off any excess wax that isn't absorbed.  Then reapply once and a while.  I really like the look of it.  It keeps the bow looking very natural, but extremely water resistant.
Traverse City, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:14:36 am »
Rick's post covers petroleum based paraffin finishes as well as for natural beeswax.   As far as pure simplicity, nothing holds a candle to a wax finish.   ;)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:27:19 pm »
Does the wax finish work with rawhide?  Or would it affect the hide glue?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

DCM4

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:05:32 am »
I have applied parafin cut with mineral spirits to already finished (with poly) bows.  I just smear the wax on all over like a crayon, then work that in with a small bit of cloth soaked with mineral spirits. I'd thnk you'd want to heat coat a bow without finish, or finished with only an oil.

Offline BIG BAD BRAD

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:50 pm »
TAKE A LOOK AT THE FINISH I JUST POSTED ON THE THREAT..... TRU OIL VS. TUNG OIL IT THE ABOVE TOPICS...

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:18:18 am »
Parafin finish= Heat, apply, rub, repeat.
I like to use a scrap of wool cloth to rub in the parafin once I have the bow well saturated and coated.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Flashman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 02:30:36 pm »
I apply paraffin using a heat gun to warm up the wood and then melting the paraffin and rubbing it into the wood.  I usually try 2 or 3 coats and reapply it yearly although it doesn't really seem to need it on a yearly basis.  It is plain finish and nothing fancy.  I guess it just isn't that "sexy" and beautiful as other finishes but it is easy and according to Torges is the most water resistent finish available (per Hunting the Osage Bow).  I have applied it over potassium permangenate (sp?) that I used to stain a hazel bow and over RIT dye on a vine maple, over no stain with yew.