Author Topic: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?  (Read 17553 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Any Mechanics want to lend a hand?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 11:46:53 pm »
It's not the heat shield we have ruled that out.  As far as the EGR it seems most have concurred that the car runs too well otherwise for that to be the issue.  I'd like to do the codes but was Autozone correct that it won't display codes if the Check Engine Light isn't on?  I will clean the throttle body plate and let you know how that turns out.

The thing is from what I understand, most of the things that have been mentioned would cause much more consistant stalling, poor performance, idle issues, etc. 
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:56:30 am »
dirty throttle plate wont cause poor performance, just stalling at idle, because the iac has a hard time controlling the air intake.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:43 am »
I still say that it's either the EGR Valve....or a blocked Catalytic Converter...jmo....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 06:26:54 am »
The EGR will also act worse at idle,not running down the road,if it is hung open it won't idle good or die but other than a lean surge it will run ok on the road usually.     :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »
soRRy i been away fo a bit on this
ok now knowing its tbi
im with pappy as to check the egr system next
egr at cruise wont hurt anything
egr at idle will cause stalling
if the egr is just slightly hanging up and can cause a surge
if it hangs open it can cause a stall on decel or at idle
i still say if it was a converrtor issue it would cause a lack of power as the engine warms up and the exhuast gets hot.
thats when the plugging gets noticed.it could cause stalling but at that point the convertor will be glowing cherry red.
and it wont start and run decent untill its cooled off again

stalling on turns,are you just coasting(decelerating)thru the turns?
if so check he egr  ;)

starting to sound repetative here  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 01:33:57 am »
EGR VALVE....gee I think I read that in the first post somewhere.... O:)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 01:38:51 am »
ok ok ok....I will trouble shoot the EGR tomorrow.  Thanks guys I really do appreciate it.
Nate Danforth

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 02:03:31 am »
  After you egr if that doesn't do it check your throttle plate, it takes about 5 min and will act exactly as you describe. I do this for a living as do a few others on here. I have fixed several by just wiping it out with a rag. Just a thin film is enough to cause your problem. Steve

Offline aero86

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 02:54:10 am »
five pennies its nasty throttle plate.. ;D
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 11:02:10 am »
well i aint gonna say anything that will make me look silly later
after all i aint worked on nothing but FORDS (for the most part) in 15 yrs,thats why i couldnt remember if it was carb or tbi
i still say check the egr next.if you can pull it off and check it with a vacuum gun,that would be best.you can check it on the vehicle but alot of the times its hard to see if the diaphragm is moving its full range on the car.dont just go by "it holds vacuum it must be good".the diaphragm doesnt have to be bad for the egr to be bad  ;)this rattle that you isnt the heat shields,can you tell where the noised is coming from?engine area,under chassis,etc?it is possible the valley pan came loose

but as a side note: you said you bought the vehicle becuase of the reputation of the 3.8l engine
                           now if memory serves me right the tbi 3.8l is not the same engine as the mpi 3800 engine
                           not saying tht the 3.8l tbi isnt as trustworthy,but the 3800 mpi is the engine that has the great reputation.
                           if i remember right the 3.8l tbi was just a revamped 260 c.i. carb engine that they revamped and chopped the back two cyl's off of.
                           at the time they created that engine they need a 6 cyl that would have some performance and fuel economy to be competitive in the
                           market at that time, and was the predecessor for the infamous 3800 engine.now the 3800 has hade several versions to date each slightly better than
                           the last.i believe GM is on the third generation of the 3800 now.
i suppose this is enough of my early morning ramblings.  I NEED COFFEE  ;D

Offline NTD

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »
it is a 3800.  But a 3800 IS a 3.8 liter engine  ::) got me confused now.
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »
yes 3.8l and a 3800 are both 3.8l engines
however the designation of 38oo was given to new designed engine of that size ans was designed as a multi-port fuel injected engine
like i said the carburated version was a small block v-8 that they quickly enginered with the back 2 cyl's removed to be a v-6 engine.
after running the carb version for a few years GM then designed a whole new v-6 engine that was a true v-6 and not  a modified v-8.
this new engine was,like i said,given the designation 0f the "3800".they did this to keep them seperate since they realy were not the same engines.
the true "3800" is probably one of the best designed engines of all time,virtually indestructable.
they like to develop carbon on the valves and in the upper combustion chambers over time.
minor problem,this can seem much worse.can cause a very loud preignition on accel,lack of power not so much  stall really
if this is an issue get an "induction service" done.
i did this on an old temp with a v-6 that was so carboned up it couldnt get out of its own way.after the induction service that 3.0l v-6 could sit still and smoke the front tires  >:D
anyhoo if ya got the 3800,excellent choice very good decision.

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 04:16:35 pm »
Okay thanks Tim.  Not confused anymore. ;D  It is the "3800" ;D  Taking the car over to Frank's place in a few to play with a few of the suggestions here.  I'll keep ya posted.
Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »
Cleaned the throttle plate.  And cleaned it very well.  And Aero ya owe me those five pennies ;D Cause it didn't fix it.  Tried to check the EGR but the hose that goes to it is copper.  Not sure how I'm going to get that off and blow air through it.  Any other ideas on how to check the EGR?
Nate Danforth

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
there should be a small rubber hose on the top side of the egr valve  ???
and you want to pull vacuum on the valve not blow air thru it  ;)
the only pipe i have ever seen on egr valves is the one that connects it to the exhaust system.