Author Topic: Hackberry Bow - Inspiration Needed  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Et_tu_brute

Hackberry Bow - Inspiration Needed
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »
Hi All,

Well I've got a lovely stave of Hackberry sitting here which I've now gotten round to setting to work on, and I fancy doing something a bit different to what I have in the past. First of all the stave, pipe straight, no twist, 72" long and 2" wide. I'll be going for a draw-weight of around 60#@30".

I want to recurve the bow, but along with this I was also thinking of steaming the stave and putting in 3 or 4" of reflex and perhaps heat treating the belly. With regard to putting in the reflex would steaming be OK to do or would dry heat be more advisable? As I understand it Hackberry steams well.

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated :)

Offline Michael C.

Re: Hackberry Bow - Inspiration Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:27 pm »
Yeah that's what I have heard (steam) also, there are a bunch of these trees around here and I keep meaning to try one out. From what I have read though it's really similar to elm in most of it's properties, I think there was a PA issue with this wood in it a ways back.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 12:18:07 am »
I love working with hackberry, even more then osage (I can hear all the people crying "HERETIC" already).

If the wood is a little bit damp, go ahead and steam away.  If it has had plenty of time to cure out, try the dry heat.  With your 30" draw length, I would recommend going a little over the usual double the draw length plus 10%.   That would give you a 66 inch bow (30 + 30 + 6).  Go to 69", that gives you another 15% over the double your draw length.  I bet if you get this thing tillered carefully and the m,oisture content down below 8% you will get virtually no string follow. 

If you are using a draw knife or spokeshave on the belly, make sure it is razor sharp.  Then sharpen it better.  Once it is better than razor sharp, take it to a professional and get it sharp enough to etch your initials in glass.  Hackberry can have some mean hidden grain reversal.  A dull tool will cause tear-outs that a really sharp tool can sometimes avoid. 

Hackberry doesn't take stain really well for me, but the wood looks great with just an oil finish rubbed in.  I back mine with rawhide that I have pre-died or stained.  The dark rawhide really sets off the creamy pale yellow color of the wood.    Take lotsa pictures and post often.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 02:20:23 pm »
is this inspiration enough?  64"  52# @ 28".   don't know about the 30" draw you got.  maybe make it a smidge longer.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »
Oh, dat's fine
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:18:33 am »
I like Hackberry also,haven't made one in a while but it is fine bow wood.Very light in the hand.Just has been said,keep it dry. If the picture of Sulphur bow don't inspire you nothing will,great looking bow.
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »
Sulphur, that's definitely inspiration enough  ;D Stunning bow there, very similar to what I had in mind (may go for a bendy handle), as you say I'll make mine a little longer to handle the 30" drawlength. Thanks very much for the advice everyone, I'll be getting started on this one later on this week, so I'll post photos as I do so :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »
Sulphur:"is this inspiration enough?"
Yup.
:)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »
Sulphur, How wide did you make the limbs? Thats inspiration alright now I got to make one. Living in Kansas hackberry is abundant so here goes.

Joe
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 06:25:54 pm »
woods the limbs are 2" then start tapering about 8" out to .5 tips.  I always go wide with hackberry as its not even as dense as ash.  However i think rangerb has had great success with narrower designs.  its a remarkable wood given its specs versus denser woods.  the best part is the bark that just falls off and then theres your back.  Just love it.