Author Topic: Hemp handle  (Read 4503 times)

Offline chuckp

Hemp handle
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:19 am »
I'm finishing up a beautiful (to me) pyramid hickory. Man it shoots great. I'm using a leather floppy rest. I'd like to go with a walmart hemp handle.
After serving the hemp, should I  soak  the hemp with a watered down glue? How about tru oil or spar varnish?

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
Re: Hemp handle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »
I will be interested in what the experts have to say. I have never tried a Hemp handle.
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:47:17 pm »
I put a hemp wrap on the handle of my first bow, also hickory and soaked it with watered down glue. It came loose from the hickory in one piece.

I have heard Pat B (I think) reference epoxy thinned with acetone (Massey Finish?) as an effective finish for hemp handles, you might have better luck trying that than the glue.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »
I use contact cement on the handle, then wrap it, then brush water-based poly over the top.  Works pretty good.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:50 pm »
I've never had a problem soaking it in watered down TB3. I soak it pretty good and then seal it some more with Poly Spray after it dries.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
last hemp handle I had went up in smoke... but I didn't inhale :'(
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:25 pm »
I use Titebond   which is waterproof. You can coat with a spar. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »
When I first started using hemp cord wrap for handles I would soak it with diluted TB glue and let it dry. I found out that the sweat from my hands would make the glue tacky. Then I started using Massey finish and have been using it ever since.
  For the Massey finish I mix up a bit of 2ton epoxy, thin it with acetone and daub it on with a piece of cloth until it is well saturated. Be sure to wear rubber gloves or your hands will be very sticky until the glue cures out. I usually give the epoxy til tomorrow to cure out well.
  This makes a great handle wrap that is effective under any weather conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:33:51 pm »
I've just finished braiding some hemp twine for a handle on a little hickory bow. I'll wrap it tomorrow and try the Massey finish.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:39:49 pm »
 Pat, you can use that same acetone to get it off your hands. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:36 pm »
Hey I don't mean to sound indifferent, But I use expoy and thin with rubbing alcohol , I found this to work well as alcohol cuts expoy. Used this method to build radio airplanes years ago. WE used this method to water and fuel proof the firewalls . I know this doesn't have anything to do with bows, but borrowed ideas from the past come in handy sometimes. It thins the viscosity of the expoy and you get good penetration. Good Luck Denny

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:11:40 am »
Thanks Denny. I have never tried alcohol but will give it a try. I would prefer to use alcohol to acetone anyway, less toxic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 04:37:12 am »
... I usually give the epoxy til tomorrow to cure out well.
It's jobs around the house for Mrs Cat that I leave until tomorrow ;).
Just overnight is fine for curing epoxy ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chuckp

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 07:59:12 am »
Jawge top coats the watered down titebond glue with spar. Wouldn't that be sufficient to seal the handle and prevent the glue from leaking out from sweat?