Author Topic: Common Courtesy Rant!  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Mudd

Common Courtesy Rant!
« on: June 14, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »
I am going to make the best of this day that is a gift to me.

But I want to say to those whom this fits should take note of a quote that Butch uses as a part of his tag line. "Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman"

How much effort or time does it take to reply to an e-mail, a pm, or to return a phone call?

If nothing else, at least acknowledge the another person by giving them an appropriate reply.

I find it offensive when they don't!

Please extend to others the same courtesy they give!

Thank you! If this needs to be removed please do!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
God bless
Roy L"Mudd" Williams

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Common Courtesy Rant!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:09:40 pm »
An early discourtesy is a rare gift.  It gives you advance warning of who you're dealing with before you have too much on the line.  So just smile to yourself, and thank your stars that you found out sooner rather than later.   ;)
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:51:23 pm »
 WOW! You are the "zenmonkeyman". ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »
Aww, shucks!  :-[  :P  ;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:18:47 am »
I think it was Ben Franklin that said "Common sense is not as common as the name would imply."

Common courtesy seems to become more uncommon as the years pass.  Hope your day got better. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 08:14:21 am »
Zenmonkeyman  ;D ;D ya you don't see it as much anymore,can't really figure out why,I guess it is there raising or just all about me kind of folks. To bad. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:07:39 pm »
There's been a decline in common courtesy and good manners in general, that I've noticed in recent years.  For all the good that technology and communications have increased and developed over the years to "bring us all closer together", I feel it's also made people "more abrupt" in their methods of dealing with people.  Social skills are diminishing with people's time lessening, due to more of "everything" available for us to avail of.

I've procrastinated for too long and I've had a wake-up call that now has me determined to change my ways.  Time will tell.

I also hope your day improved, man :)

Steve

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:38 pm »
you wouldn,t even want to start me on this subject.Your right though,It has definitley diminished.How many times do I open a door-let someone out while driving-etc and way more often than not you don,t get a thank you or the courtesy wave or nod while driving.I usually go out of my way to be nice so people don,t give up on our society.Awhile back a lady ran out of gas  by my house and needec help.I got my gas can-gave her a gallon of gas and directions to the nearest gas station.She was persistent about giving me money but I told her to tell her friends that there is still good hearted people left in the world.At an auction back in April a lady had bought a picnic table for her daughter and husband but had no way to haul it.Upon hearing the conversation I offered to haul it for her in my truck(free of charge-was only 3or 4 miles from the auction)and she couldn,t believe I didn,t want anything.I guess in this crazy world we live in it is hard for people to trust anyone and think someone would do a kind deed just to be nice.To be honest lately I,ve been losing faith in mankind.While there are still LOTS of good honest people willing to help a total stranger it seems they are harder and harder to find.Told you I could get fired up!Well everyone take care and have a great day-Lloyd

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:39 pm »
I tried to help an old lady at the train station in New York. She was struggling with luggage up a stairs.  She looked at me like she wanted to stab me and never said a word. Oh well for random act of kindess ;) I guess it is a bigger shame if you let these situations make you jaded...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:24:40 am »
I have learned a Hard Lesson...and it has taken Me most of my Life to learn ...Don't ever expect any good in return for a Good deed that You have done...because these Days...You will be let down.....People today are for the Most Part...all about "ME" I go out of My Way to help Others...thinking...Tomorrow I May Need a Favor...well Folks....Tomorrow never get here for the most part....but I still have not let this get Me down...I have just learned not to expect anything in return for what I give of myself....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:36:08 am »
A while back I managed to turn my being impatient and in a rush, into a good deed.
The old lady in front of me in the supermarket queue had bought a few little bits but hadn't got her purse, she was getting flustered and dithering about... I was on my lunch break so I just paid for her stuff so that I could get on my way.
I just hope someone would do the same for my Mum when she gets that old and forgetfull.
Del
(But then I spoiled it by running her down in the car park :o... just kiddin' )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:54 pm »
 I was raised that when you really wanted to help someone you weren't doing it for anything in return. But it did always feel better to hear a Thank you.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Online Otis

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:58:16 pm »
Eddie, Mike , I agree, it ain't about getting anthing in return. It just makes sense or common courtesy to tell someone thank you for something you have done for them. I can't remember the last time a teenager or a 20 something told me thanks for holding a door or any other something like that. Kinda makes you want to kick them in the arse.
                                                              David

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:00 pm »

The common sense part is so true, but it sounds more like Mark Twain.  I don't do something for someone for something in return, I was not brought up that way.  It is just like Eddie said.  And yes it does make it nicer to at least hear or see a thank you, but the lack of it should not deter you from being courteous, or kind.  I once got into a wolf discussion with a woman who was instrumental in getting wolves restocked in Yellowstone.  I was courteous, and eased in my comments, in a polite way.  She responded with, "why is it that you want to keep the hunting of wolves intact, but I find it hard to dislike, or be upset with you ?"  Could be I was courteous, and listened to her reasons, and then answered with mine, while not calling her an airhead who needed to see first hand what she and the others have done, and keeping a pleasant tone of voice, and added that I did not want to eliminate the wolf, but keep it's population in check, so that the damage that the wolves are doing will be lessened.  Unfortunately common sense manners are no longer taught in the family anymore like it once was.  A Friend of mine was a teacher, and he was at a PTA meeting one night, and one nit wit parent stood up and wanted to know why the school was not teaching the kids manners.  He responded, that it was the job of the teacher to teach the basics of reading, writing, and mathematics, and social studies, and science, not manners, that is the job of the parent not the teacher, parents are responsible for teaching common sense manners and courtesies, mostly by example.  Wasn't the answer they were looking for. ::)

Wayne

paganwannbe

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
you can't expect much out of people today sadly I spend more of my free time helping others out and never get anything back even from my brothers that are all in to today's way of life and I gladly do work I might make one or two smart comments but hey I still do more good and a tad bit more polite then most people my age sorry but that's just my two cents