Author Topic: "Little Bit"  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Timo

Re: "Little Bit"
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 09:06:40 am »
Nice arc in that one Eddie! ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 09:12:12 am »
 Thank you, everybody.

Wayne, I cut the boo and it is drying and sure, I'd like to try the Carrotwood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 02:43:31 pm »
Nice job Eddie.HHB is one of my favorites.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »
 I like it too, Pete. It's the first time I've tried using it. I wish it grew down here.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 02:54:32 pm »
Wayne....never heard of....or seen Carrot Wood....what you want for a piece?
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »
Looks good.. You said you wanted a heavy blank..  ;D so get back to scraping!! >:D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 03:29:05 pm »
     El D, it is very heavy, when green, and still not too light when dry.  I have never made a bow from it, but when it dries, it is very hard!  It is heavy, like I said, just pay shipping, and it is yours.  I have two pieces, so I will give Eddie one, and if you still want the other, I will send it to you.  I don't know anything about wheather you use sapwood, heartwood, or a combination of both.  Wide or narrow.  I know nothing about it as a bow wood, but I have heard that it makes a good bow .  I produces small round yellow berries, about the size of a medium marble.  The birds love them.  They are banned in some of the more exclusive neighborhoods, because they are so invasive.  They are a nuisance.  You can cut them down to the roots, and in a week, you will see new shoots, coming up, and they grow fast.  It would be cheaper to send you a bunch of seeds.  I don't know how cold tolerant they are.  I assume they are a subtropical species.  Not really sure.  But I'm sure that they are a pain in the arse.  I think Eddie said that Bone Pile (Roger) has made a bow or two from it, or knows more about it as a bow wood, and how to use it.  Like I said, I don't have a clue.  I would hate send it to you, and find out it isn't worth a crap, but it is sort of a fruit tree, and the wood is very hard.  I haven't made anything from it yet, but I have some smaller diameter pieces, I am waiting to dry, so I can carve a walking stick for a Friend of mine in Montana.  Why not wait till this stuff dries, and you find out more about it, and the bow capabilities, and such, from someone on here who knows more about it than I do.   Then if you still want it, I will send it to you.  The piece I promised Eddie, is about 3-4" in diameter, and about 7-8' long.  The other piece is a little smaller in diameter about 3-3 1/2" or so, maybe a little smaller, just guessing without having to get up and go into the garage, and look at and measure it, but it is about the same length.  Anyone out there ever make a bow out of carrotwood?  I can send you some seeds if you want, and you can plant them now, and see if, and how well they grow out there, and it the cold kills them, and if they will send up new shots in the spring.  But be forewarned, the birds Will scatter the seeds all over the place, and a lot of people will be a little upset with you!  That is how I got mine, my neighbor has one in his front yard, I now have them sprouting up all over, and my neighbor in back has them along the fence line.  Between the birds, and tree rats, it is a never ending job of pulling up young shoots.

Wayne

Offline John K

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 04:22:16 pm »
Great little bow there Eddie, i like it !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:15 pm »
 Thank you John.

El D,  Bob, Coowachobee is the one that made some with it and Parnel.
Lakeland, Florida

bowkee

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 10:17:20 pm »
That's a good one Eddie 8)

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
yep, you definitely went all in on that one.  nice tiller, sucks the top limb wouldn't hold on the recurve.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 10:32:31 pm »
stick that sounds like cinaberry to me , guess not though

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »
NICE,  I love a short D bow and you really nailed it with that one.  That is an impressive draw length from a short piece of wood. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 11:27:02 pm »
 Thanks, Phillip.
 Chris, I heated it twice, but didn't want to take a chance of scorching it. There was a knot right in the bend. I flinched the first time I yanked it back that far because of it.

Ken, Rick, it is fast, and like I said, "It was going to make it or break it". ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Parnell

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 01:43:47 pm »
Shoot Eddie, I didn't even see this one when I'd taken a couple weeks off.  It turned out nicely, I'd like to give it a shot or two when I come visit, if possible.  Anyhow, nice work!
1’—>1’