Author Topic: 45" Ojibwa / black walnut (not for bom)  (Read 6035 times)

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: 45" Ojibwa / black walnut (not for bom)
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »
Gald to see you still posting Rich, wish I could build a bow, not much to do here in Fultondale Alabama as far as bows go. When I get back to Missouri I plan on bringing some things back. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the post.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

half eye

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:43 pm »
Thanks again fella's,
        I really like the way walnut works (tools) and it will take a lot of strain. As far as the scallops go I make the bows to shoot before the scallops get carved in. The only thing I noticed is that the draw weight drops a little.....but that's offset with the tiller becoming very even....so my guess is mostly decorational and only partially functional. Not for sure but that has been my experience.
      dragonman, I've made several (maybe 9-10) from maple with hard maple and it works very well in these broad, flat designs....only difference would be that the maple will be only about 1/2 to 1/3 as thick, and will have a little more speed. So the short answer is yes it makes a great short bow.
     Hammertime, I really like the smell myself....even with the smoking and grease it still smells nice, or maybe it makes the grease smell a little less offensive. Either way I agree with you.
     Jeff, will be touching base with you here shortly. Ya better get busy cause them Alabama deers are gonna need some thinnin out!!!!
Rich

bowkee

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 10:40:57 pm »
That's a top notch Bow  8)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46:26 pm »
Very nice.  You did a great job on that bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Grunt

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:59 pm »
Now I got to drag out the two quartersawn white oak blanks I have and make one of those scalloped edge bows. Thanks for posting halfeye.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »
I'm back to bow making next week after nearly three months off (due to work, mainly) and I'll definitely have to give this style a try. Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

-Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery