Author Topic: Pyramid Tiller  (Read 2506 times)

Offline agd68

Pyramid Tiller
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:54 am »
Hey All

When you tiller a pyramid bow, is the tillering done by scraping the sides of the limbs or the belly like any other type?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Pyramid Tiller
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:34:47 am »
Very wide pyramids of 2.5 to 3 in in width are usually tillered from the sides while the narrower ones of 2 in or so are usually done by belly tillering or a combination of side and belly tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

half eye

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:40 am »
agd68,
     I've done pyramid's both ways. On heavy weight bows I make the limbs fairly thick to start and tiller by scraping the belly, and then switch to the edges for the very last little bit. If the bow is going to be of moderate weight I cut the limb thickness close to final dimensions, clean up the surfaces, and then tiller in the arc by scraping the sides. JMO
Rich

Offline agd68

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:30:04 am »
Thanks guys.Looking to try one soon (first time) .My wood choices are maple or ash boards. Which wood would you suggest. I'm looking for 55-60#@29". Advise on dimensions would be appreciated as well.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »
can't go wrong with maple or ash.  although i think jawge won't agree with the ash.  i usually make my pyramids 2" wide then start to taper them a few inches past the fades to .5" tips.   I start with a uniform thickness of around 9/16".  You will find that the outer half of each limb is stiff.  i start tapeing by taking of the square corners and forming facets that are about 1/4 wide.  then i round the belly slightly as i go, taking more strokes off the outer half of each limb.  keep an eye for your circular tiller it won't take long to get there.  here is a video build along i did with red oak.  the dimensions used work great for ash or maple.  this is part 1, there are 19 all together in short clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EPS0Xs_Tw

Offline gpw

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:37:30 pm »
Sulphur, Great video (s) Dude !!!!  8) 8) 8)  THANKS !!!!