Author Topic: 45" Ojibwa / black walnut (not for bom)  (Read 6046 times)

half eye

45" Ojibwa / black walnut (not for bom)
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:47:57 pm »
Fellas,
       Thought I'd make me a heavyweight NA bow. Went to 45 inches, black walnut in the single side scalloped style of the Ojibwa (Chippewa). The bow weighs 52# @ 19" and I cant pull it beyond 23/24 inches. It is capable of drawing a full 26" but only if I hang it on the wall and pull with both hands.
       Other than the deerhair roach there is no decoration. Thought I'd do the NA thing where it doesn't get decorated untill it "proves" itself and I get a vision about what might be appropriate. The bow was smoked for 36 hrs, then got 3 coats of grease and smoked a little more to "set" everything.
       See what ya think. Couple of pic posts with details.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

Re: 45" Ojibwa / black walnut (not for bom)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:51:06 pm »
Here's the detail shots

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:11:40 pm »
looks fantastic Rich, i might have to see if i can set up a trade with you sometime for one of your short NA bows, i love 'em.

Quick question i am working on the shortest bow i've made to date (52"), what brace height do you use on short bows like this?

thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

half eye

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »
Dan,
      I brace just high enough to no hit my little sissy paw :D They used to brace them pretty low, and drag the fletch back across the bow and let the string smack their hand......so if you are using standard size fletch I'd make it enough to clear them, and call it good. JMO
Rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
Rich, that bow is SPECTACULAR!!!  I love that you can get such a high draw with such a short bow...  The scallops on the side are perfect.  Even though we don't get along that good, awesome work deserves to be praised.   :)

EDIT:   How wide is it at the fades inside the scallops? 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:05:14 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »
rich im always amazed at the bend you get on your bows , awesome work , love that black walnut

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:25:05 pm »
Awesome! I am a big fan of BW but you have that thing doing stuff I didn't think was possible. You are a true master at this and I love everything I've seen you post. Great job!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:45 pm »
My favorite kind of bow - simple but elegant design, masterful execution that shows of the natural beauty of the wood without a lot of doohickeys and jingle-jangles.  Another masterpiece, my friend!
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

half eye

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:08:40 pm »
Thanks fella's for the nice comments. The bow measures 1-1/4" inside the scallops at the grip, 1-1/2" at the peak of the scallops and the tips are 3/4" inside the scallops below the string grove. The bow is flat on one side and tapered on the arrow pass side  they are cut allmost like a Sudbury....minus the "waisted" grip.
Rich

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »
Rich ...yyyoooouuuuu! Your gonna force me to move west my friend..lol Another awesome piece!  I am gong to apply some of those techniques u showed me and make a few myself.  Im searching for some new material for us to ...I mean U to work on Rich.  I love the eastern woodlands and the arctic where to next the plains like Apache, Soiux, comanche, well I geuss next time we chat we can mull it over eh?  Rich amazing work my friend I will talk to u soon!  Enjoy the tatonka hide.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:55:35 pm »
I'm not sure I can say things as well as the other guys. This one is a beauty. The black walnut is beautiful wood.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »
Nice!  You are very talented :) Funny thing about BW is many downplay it as a good bow wood and I've seen some fine bows from it!  I have a HUGE BW tree with my name on it once I get time. I may push forward with it now ;)

One question-  are the scallops functional or decorative?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »
WOW,you are definetly an artist even without the artwork on the bow I've done a couple of black walnuts,great wood to work and quite the aroma-Hammertime

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 08:08:55 pm »
Thats a very authentic looking NA bow you've made there Rich, I didnt realize BW would take a design that short, I've never seen it done before. I'm  impressed, beautiful too!!. How does it shoot??  Is there hand shock in those short bows that bend throughout? There would probably be with a long bow,but maybe its different with short bows? I'm gonna have to try one now Would rock maple take a design like this> :)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »
That ia a beautiful bow Rich.I really like it.Brace and full draw are very pretty.Great job!  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas