Author Topic: Crossbow (not entirely primitive) + video  (Read 4935 times)

Offline TBod

Crossbow (not entirely primitive) + video
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:37:02 pm »
Hi!

A little crossbow. The bow is 40" 25# at 17". European Oak with Linenbacking. The rest of it is mostly a crappy Fir board.

Chrono readings:
arrow          speed
110gr     -   175 fps
140       -    160
156       -    153
188       -    150
219       -    138

My scale for weighing the arrows can differ +/-10 gr. The length of the arrows seem to affect the speed also. I managed to gain about 10 fps by changing the stringalignment.

Working on another heavier bow to put on this crosssbow.

Not the best pics..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:28:01 pm by TBod »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Crossbow (not entirely primitive)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:13:50 pm »
 Cool.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:05:07 pm »
Very cool!!!.... I made one this past winter and it is about 70# but I have no idea of it's speed.

Was thinking about hunting with it if my shoulder continued to give me trouble.  I would have to make another (bow) to make it legal to the 125# rquirement!!  Shoulder is feeling much better so have not done more with the crossbow.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TBod

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:22:47 am »
Thanks Mullet and lowell. I also have problem with a shoulder, crossbows are kinder in that area.

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:39:33 am »
What is it about archers/bowhunters and shoulder injuries...?

Unfortunately, I had the injury BEFORE I found archery  :-\

I'm kinda hoping it acts as "therapeutic exercise" instead of aggravating the matter...  wishful thinking, eh?

Wonderful looking crossbow!!  What's the story with crossbow # legalities?  Is 70# not powerful enough in the Law's eyes?  Or is it something to do with the relationship between crossbows and firearms?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:35:54 pm by HatchA »

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:12:22 pm »
Seems I read something aboout a crossbow having half the force/power of a longbow.  So a 70# crossbow would be comparable to a 35# longbow.  Also something there about the length the arrow is being pushed with the string.  My crossbow pushes arrow about 12-13" where a longbow is more in the 22" to 26"....depending on draw??

:-[  I  just edited this after I read it again.  The string is pushing the arrow the draw length minus the brace hieght!! :-[

State requires 125# here to be legal to hunt with crossbow.  Age 62 and over makes you legal to use crossbow or if an injury makes pulling a bow impossible you can get a special "permit with Dr. notes etc to the state.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:46:21 pm by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TBod

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »
Thanks Hatcha!

lowell
Thats true about the draw length. Half draw equals half energy put to the arrow. If you draw it to 18-19" instead you get a 75# crossbow similar to a 50 # bow. Also you can use a lower braceheight on a crossbow. So it should pay of to have a lot of early drawweight (reflex or recurve). Thats just me thinking out loud, since it's my first so far..

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »
What is it about archers/bowhunters and shoulder injuries...?

Unfortunately, I had the injury BEFORE I found archery  :-\

I'm kinda hoping it acts as "therapeutic exercise" instead of aggravating the matter...  wishful thinking, eh?

I too have a Shoulder Injury...and the Bow has done nothing but good for mine...I broke 6 ribs...my Collarbone and Shoulderblade on my Left Side in a Bike Wreck in 93....Had to work up to stronger Bows and more shooting....but it did nothing but good for me.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:04 am »
man i hate that. i goofed mine up a little bit last year when i missed a tackle and landed with all my weight on the left shoulder. but mine just pops out of place every now and then, not as bad as yours. :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
man i hate that. i goofed mine up a little bit last year when i missed a tackle and landed with all my weight on the left shoulder. but mine just pops out of place every now and then, not as bad as yours. :-\

You did'nt play college football for Texes did ya ;D ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline TBod

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 12:26:39 pm »
A new blade. Elm 40#

210 fps 110 grain/7 gram
190      160        10
170      250        16

Shooting video with 160 grain at 28 Y/25 m
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbaD-opD4a4

[attachment deleted by admin]

Voodoo

Re: Crossbow (not entirely primitive) + video
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 01:02:17 pm »
Wow, very cool!!....... but I never realized it would be ok to post primitive type crossbow stuff here............I've got one that's handmade and used by natives in thailand it was given as a gift to a missionary who brought it back here in 1960........bamboo bow, bone trigger, bamboo arrows with bamboo leaf fletches.... it's very cool looking too...... would it be alright to post a picture here or should I start a thread about it?.......I sure don't want to hijack or take anything away from Tbod or his beautiful work........

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 01:44:52 pm »
You can post any style Bow in the " Around The Campfire" thread....In fact you can post anything except Politics and Religion.....well and other Unsavory Subjects too...... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline TBod

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:50:36 pm »
Thanks Voodoo!

Post the bow wherever you want , I really like to see it!!

Voodoo

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 11:26:47 pm »
Very good, I've been kinda busy, and forgot about the pics, I'll take some tomorrow and get them posted, I took it over to the Farmland shoot so a friend could play a joke, which he hever did, but I got it out to show another friend and it kinda drew a crowd, I couldn't believe it, I thought I'd be chastized for bringing a crossbow to a trad shoot, so I kept it hidden for a long time but instead .....they were facinated..... sure suprised me!!