Author Topic: Couple almosts, and a molested turtle  (Read 1897 times)

Lombard

Couple almosts, and a molested turtle
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:43:01 pm »
Between work, traveling, and being somewhat under the weather lately, I've not gotten much done on projects. Today I managed to make a little progress on a pair of bows under construction. Even got the lawn mowed between rain showers.  :P

A while back a man in SC gave me a Persimmon log, and I quartered it out. He also gave me a Yellow Lab Puppy. A female, and she is really turning into a fine dog. The puppy is where the molested turtle comes into the story. She sticks pretty close to me when we are out and about. While working on these projects, I heard a ruckus, and went to investigate. There my little lab is carrying a turtle. With the happiest look in here eyes, she was bringing me the turtle. She was happy that is, until the turtle stuck it's head out just enough to give her a pinch. She let out a yelp, and let that critter go pronto. Then she proceded to be mad, and bark the turtle out of it's shell.  :o

Anyway I decided to build the kind man in SC a Persimmon bow, and a Red Oak bow for his  Grandson. Got the Red Oak tillered out, and my wife put a hundred shots on it for me. Tiller seems to be holding. It pulls twenty five pounds at twenty eight. I'll thin those tips out super thin, and haven't decided what sort of finish to put on it.

The Persimmon is still holding too much moisture to do much with, but I did rough it in, and get rid of a bunch of mass. It is pulling reflex as it dries, and has some slight barber pole to contend with. That will be dealt with at a later time. So here are some photos of a couple almosts, and a molested turtle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lombard

Re: Couple almosts, and a molested turtle
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:45:28 pm »
Couple more photos of the Persimmon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »
nice work , always feels good to give em away

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:20 am »
Looking good,them lads are funny dogs. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:44 pm »
lookin' good, when my black lab was a pup, she barked at a painted turtle for several hours before giving up, they are funny.
45# at 27"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
Those are looking good, I have a persimmon stave I need to start whittleing on. Back when I used to coon hunt, one of my hunting buddies went and paid nearly $2,000 for a high-powered walker coon hound and bragged on it considerably about how it was gonna put all our dogs to shame. The first night we took it out, it started trailing something and then sounded like it was treed a short time later. I noticed my old bluetick went over and checked it out and came back, then went off in another direction hunting. He said his dog must have treed a coon that my dog couldn't even smell. We went to his dog, and it had a box turtle bayed, was barking every breath at it. I was rolling on the ground laughing and we about got in a fight he got so mad. He never did live that one down. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »
Hillbilly, that is a funny story. I had to read it to my wife.