Author Topic: New Fletching Jig  (Read 5011 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: New Fletching Jig
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 01:32:28 am »

Ashamed for what?  That is cool!  8) You came up with it on your own, cool again 8)  How do you think all the wondrous inventions we take for granted today, came about?  Someone needed something, couldn't afford to buy something similar, and sat down, and solved the problem.  Sam colt supposedly came up with the revolver, while at sea, and watching the steering wheel of the ship, and came up with the patterson colt, and progressed from there on.  My Dad went through the Great Depression, and I am still amazed at some of the things he could make, that worked just as well as store bought.  About the only improvement on your design, would be fancier wood.  But unless you want to make some for gifts, stick with what you have.  If it works, it works!  And it sure works for me.
Why spend good money on something you can make?  Plus the satisfaction of making it, and using it, knowing that YOU made it.  And now it is helping you make arrows, and so on.  Do you think our forefathers waited for the area they settled, to get a railroad, or the stage, so they could get the tools, and equipment they needed to homestead?  Ever see a home made corn sheller?  My Grand father made a potato chip slicer for my mother.  Basically just  a finished piece of half inch oak, with half inch railings, and a slot cut in the middle of the larger board, which was about 9-10 inches long, and about 4-5 inches wide.  A piece of steel was drilled, with two holes, in it, and one edge had a bevel on it, and honed to very sharp, and you could adjust the cutting depth, to make thinner, or thicker chips.  Basically like an upturned wood plane. ;)  It works very well!  8) My Dad used to make butter churns, buckets, and barrels when he was a kid.  Most of his life growing up, if he didn't make it, he didn't have it.  Lots of people used to make their own barrels, rather than go down to the hardware store, and buy them.  They didn't have the money to waste on something they could make!  Besides most of the barrels down there, they made!  Don't ever feel ashamed of something you made instead of buying one.  Yeah, maybe you can get one out of better material, or with more bells and whistles, but the key to all of this is, does it suit your purpose, and does it work?  That is the bottom line!  Great Job Kegan! 8)  Yes I, like a LOT of others here who read this Will copy it too ! ;)  And I thank you for it.
                                                                                              Wayne

Offline Kegan

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 11:36:41 am »
Thanks everyone :)!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:26 pm »
THIS, ladies and germs, is what the whole Primitive Archer movement is all about!

I really have nothing against all the fine, and I do mean fine merchants out there that I purchase supplies and tools  from...but there is a certain satisfaction with making and then using your own tools and equipment.  The arrows I fletch with the turkeys I harvest, sorry...kill, well let's just say they fly more sweetly than those with purchased fletching. Love the staves Sidewinder has sent me, but the hackberry staves I cut in the backyard get a little more loving attention, ya know?

Good solid piece of work, guy!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 02:28:56 am »
Cool how does that work?  Nevermind I see now...That is very ingenious.  If u think about it u can expiriment and mak ur clamp part thicker at the other end to give an offset in ur fletching.  Good job...For kicks Im going to make one!  Unless u want to make one for me I can send u some shafts...
...now im being cheap.
Russ
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:34:13 am by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 03:40:59 am »

No Russ, that is being lazy......  ::)  Which is why store bought is still around...... But sounds like a good idea! ;D

Wayne

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 03:57:59 pm »
There you go Kegan, I think you just went into business!!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »
Another neat fletcher.That's great Kegan.I really like your resourcefulness. Keep at it. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas