Author Topic: Feather complaints  (Read 2583 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Feather complaints
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »
As most of you have a favorite feather,  but when using pre-cut feathers, or full lenght from manufacutres, what is your biggest complaint?  Are the bases to thick?  Are the bases to wide?  Etc?  What I am asking and seeking is how to grind feathers that would be of the best interest to all or make improvement on whats out there

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Feather complaints
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:31:12 pm »
Haven't use any store bought in a while but when I did ,some were to thick for my liking. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:33:58 pm »
No complaints. I just don't like it when I can't get 2 feathers from 1 full length. Cheap ha? I do grind my own too. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 04:58:19 pm »
never used store bought feathers
when i make my own arrows i do it from the ground up
collect the shaft material,straighten the shafts,split feathers that i have gotten off of either roadkill turkeys or ones that i have shot my self or friends had killed.
i only use store bought stuff for my wheelie bow(very seldom these days)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:44 pm »
I use turkey feathers from turkeys killed by all my turkey-hunting friends, but I also buy the different colored goose feathers for my cock feathers at the different shoots I attend...   I am like Jawge though if I can't get at least two fletches from a full length feather I don't like em.    :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Diligence

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »
I'm far from an expert, and so my opinion should be taken very lightly.

On the goose feathers I prepared myself, I could get them really thin on the quill portion, but on the store bought flecthes, they are waaay thick. I ended up grinding down the store bought feathers to have a nice low profile.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:20:10 pm »
The Canada geese have finally started moulting here, and I've managed to collect a bagful.  I use a stainless steel chip bag clip (from the Dollarama; cost:  a dollar) that I use to hold the fletches for grinding.  I had to adjust the clip by slicing off the rubber parts and twisting untill the two sides met perfectly.  For the grinding I use a coarse foam sanding block, but I carefully cut the quill back with scissors first.  It's not a perfect system, and it sure ain't fast, but it works for me.  Oh, I also use the bag clip to glue the feather on the shaft, too. 
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:44:10 pm »
I don't like the way the store bought feathers never include the very outermost two primaries...you know, the shorter ones that are really stiff, have a pronounced curve and have the most distinct white bars.  I always save those feathers for my own special arrows. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

bowkee

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »
I always end up cuttin them to look primitive ;D