Author Topic: square section adventures  (Read 4031 times)

Offline aaron

Re: square section adventures
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »
ok i finished it. this one started out as a huge spall of riley dacite about 16 inches long. At first i tried to knap a foot-long salmon out of it, but ran into issues... so i burinated the tail off the half-formed salmon in order to create a square pommel for the dagger. the handle is just over an inch in width and thickness (1:1), the blade is about 2.5 inches wide and just over 1/2 inch thick at the widepoint (1:5). over all it is 9.5 inches long. the blade was mostly done with antler billets and copper pressure. the handle was done with a porphry hammerstone ( kinda like a quartzite with speckles of white- as seen in emory strong collections). Once the handle got to about 2:1, i used an antler sleeved copper punch and copper ishi stick. Also, mistakes were made and hand grinding was done (just rubbed it on a grinder wheel). Like many originals this one has a stranded grinding patch or two. I cannot fathom making this out of real flint!
clint- i got your package- thanks very much that horn is huge!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline aaron

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:22 pm »
a couple more scandanavian style pieces: the biface is a=called a "dolkstave" (don't know what that even means)- they're supposed to be thicker and larger all around. does anyone have edge view pics of one of these or any more info on them?
the axe was made by Ron Macey at a recent class we co-taught.
both pieces are obsidian

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:32 pm »
Aaron it means ( roughly) dagger stick or rod shaped dagger