Author Topic: 2nd Chance (w/pics)  (Read 16555 times)

Offline Gordon

2nd Chance (w/pics)
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:33:12 am »
How many times have we all wished we could have a second chance, a do-over, one more time? Another shot at that elk we passed up on opening day because…well it was opening day and surely we'll get another. Another chance to ask that cute girl you had your eye on all year to the senior prom. An opportunity to take back something you said that you wish you hadn’t.

About a year ago I made a vine maple bow for friend who had long dreamed of owning his own. Rick had no expectation that I would make him one and so when I presented it to him he was ecstatic. From that moment on I don’t think he ever used another bow. He babied that bow like it was his most prized possession. It made me feel pretty good.

One evening I got a call from Rick. He was beside himself and practically in tears. It seems he had placed his bow on the roof of his car and then drove off. When he realized what had happened he frantically drove back but it was too late. Someone had run the bow over and it was badly mangled. By the time Rick was done detailing the damage I told him it didn’t sound like it could be repaired.

A few months passed and I met up with Rick at a meeting of local bowyers. He brought the bow with him and showed it to me. It was pretty bad with multiple limb factures, a partially broken tip, and heavy gouges on the back and belly. I brought the bow home with me and laid it on my work bench. Over the next couple of weeks I kept coming back to it and holding it. Even though it was badly damaged it still felt like a bow – it possessed a certain spirit. I decided that I would try to bring it back to life.

First I had to do something about the fractures. I mated the splinters and aligned the edges of the cracks. I then shot superglue into the works and using clamps, squeezed the cracks tight. The gouges on the back were too deep to take out so I backed the bow with rawhide. I also wrapped one of the limbs with serving thread at the point where a crack ran against the grain and off the edge. I put a similar wrap on the other limb to make things symetrical. I sanded the damage off the belly and retillered the bow. I was pleased to only lose about 5 lbs in the process. The damaged tip overlays were replaced, the rawhide covered with snake skins and the bow refinished. The specs are as follows: 62” ntn, 1 5/8” wide tapering to 3/8”, cocobolo tips, elk-hide handle with Strunk style wrap, 50# @ 27”.

I named the bow “2nd Chance”.

Gordon

Offline DanaM

Re: 2nd Chance (w/pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:31:54 am »
Gordon, this story just reinforces my belief that primitive archers are the best folk that I have ever met.
I know how easy it is to do something like your friend did. I'm forever misplacing stuff. I think its a sympton of our hectic day to day lives.
You did an awesome reconstruction on his bow, I'm sure he will carry  "Second Chance" with a greal of love and pride.
Your one of the good guys Gordon.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 05:34:58 am »
Wow, Gordon!
A fine bow and a lot of mystic (standing up from the death ;)).

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:04:50 am »
awesome recovery.  i particularly like the red accents on the black wraps.  the bow is a beauty.

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:41:40 am »
Got any pics of the damage? You did a great job fixin' her up!
 This would make a great story for the magazine if you had enough before pics to tell about how you did it. Nice job.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:05:53 am »
You did a marvelous job Gordon.  I'm sure your friend will be happy.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:18:51 am »
Minuteman,

I wish I had taken before pictures, but to be honest, I didn't really think I could pull it off so I didn't bother.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:51:42 am »
Excellent work with the rebirth of this bow, Gordon. Your original gesture is what makes our hobby(for lack of a better word) so rewarding but your attempt and ultimate success with this gem sets us above the rest of the pack. I can't imagine a glass backed bow or a wheel bow surviving such an ordeal or their bowyer even attempting such an undertaking.
   This bow obviously didn't want to die and apparently, because of your attitude and determination, will carry lots of medicine for Rick and I know Rick appreciates it...and I, as a member of this community, salute you for your effort and success.
   This is a good example of why my corner of shame exists. One never knows what tomorrow will bring. A second or third look at what we see as a failure can, and in many cases does, become something better than we origionally imagined.
  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 11:52:09 am »
 Simply amasing Gordon.  Certainly it may have been easier to build him another bow from scratch yet I'm sure it would not have meant as much to him. As some of us have been talking about on the freindship bow. there is always a certain amout of problem solving that takes place when building a bow.To be able to take a shatter bow and make it new again and still to be a work of art,,,well that is some incredible talent. You a very gifted bowyer
 Sure wish you would have done a step by step repair.That would have been a great article for the PA magazine.  Congratulations on your success.   Keenan

Offline Jbell

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 01:06:39 pm »
That's some amazing work Gordon. 2nd chance has some serious MOJO behind her, just hope you wont have to call her 3rd chance. Justin
Justin Blunt

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 03:15:37 pm »
Dang, that's nice!!! :o

Roger

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »
Awesome work Gordon...you brought her back froma  certain death. Your friend is a very lucky man.

R

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 08:47:52 pm »
Wow :)

Awesome story and bow!

330bull

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 04:21:25 am »
Gordon,

That is not only a great story, but a truly gorgeous bow!  I want to build ALL of my VM's to the exact form of that bow.  When can we hook up for some bow building? 

Send me a PM and let's meet up!  We can start by going stave hunting and then you can share your advice and thoughts on bow design and construction.  Maybe afterwards we could also post a VM build along and share your skills with the rest of us neophytes!How does that sound?...

Joe (in Beaverton)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:32:32 am »
Gordon, that's a great story, and an amazing bow. Love that profile at brace and full draw-do you by chance have an unbraced profile photo of it?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.