Author Topic: Hillbilly's Saturday evening Pig Fest  (Read 10174 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Hillbilly's Saturday evening Pig Fest
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:51 pm »

Eddie;
     I won't let him know. ;)  Is Cathy, watching you type this?  Or is she in the room, checking the ins. policy? ;D

Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 12:36:07 am »
Thanks Mullet.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 09:04:18 am »
Dane, that turned out good, looks very tasty! We're gonna teach you Northerners how to eat right sooner or later. ;D Sometimes when I'm cooking something like that, I put one of those disposable aluminum pans under it with a mix of beer/water in it to act as a drip pan, and it helps keep the meat moist and tender, too. The next one I make, I think I'm gonna shuck a couple packs of beer brats out of their casings and use them for the sausage.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 10:41:21 am »
Thanks, man. We finished it up last night.

Regarding southern cooking, I do have a lot to learn. Just recently discovered of the joys of shoo-fly pie, and pecan pie is about as nice as apple pie. I’m from California, so not a classic Yankee. Some of the stuff they eat in this region I can do without, like clam chowda and Yankee pot roast. Not big on Indian Pudding, either.

Some of the Italian food you get on the east coast is world class, though. The North End in Boston is foodie heaven. About a billion ways to make spaghetti ala cabonara, and you can find them all there. Mine of course is the best, but so they all say :). Some think pizza was actually invented in the US, in New Haven or some other part of Connecticut, though I can’t say for certain. Little Italy in NYC, of course, is amazing if you like eating. I’ll be on Staten Island in a couple of weeks for my wife’s 25th HS reunion, and got a tip that the best pizza in all the boroughs is on Staten Island. I will find out soon.

A lot of the stuff I grew up eating was Mexican (not Taco Bell, brrrr, the horror), stuff like carne asada, which is one of the greatest things ever.

Was thinking you could adapt this recipe with mozzarella or provalone cheese and thickly cut prosciutto or capicola as the bacon weave, along with hot or mild Italian sausage. Beer brats or even other German style pork based wursts may be nice, too, along with a smoked German cheese instead of cheddar. Serve with an Italian lager or Italian white wine, or for German versions, any decent German beer (and what German beer isn’t decent?). For this first run, I drank a locally made bitters.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline stickbender

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:22 pm »

Dang, Dane!  I was resisting it just fine, till you brought up the italian, sausage, and german brats, etc.  As for the Pizza, supposedly began in NYC.  As for the best pizza, when I was stationed in Italy, my Italian instructor said to always ask where the pizza chef was from, because you wanted one from Napoli !  I have a great little hole in the wall place down here, and the food, and Pizzas are out of this world.  I got to know the Owners really well, and they treat me like family.  They are form Italy, and the Husband, Guy, still speaks with a thick Italian accent, but the wife Maria, speaks with a slight NY accent.  They have resturant and family in NY. also.  My favorite Mex. meal is Chille Verde. ;)  I like the Chowdah, ok, but I prefer the Mahattan style. ;)  I have never understood the " R " thing.  It's like they never had an R before, and when they get one, they don't know where to put it.  There is no R in SAW !  My Girlfriend is from Fall River, and her whole family doesn't speak so too pretty good.  I have to keep asking what the hell she is talking about.  Then I stop, and either put an R in or take an R out.  Then it makes sense.   Sort of.

Wayne

Offline PeteC

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »
Man,that's my kinda eatin'.Looks great and I bet it tastes even better. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
well Hillbilly i showed my wife and she loves it so she baked one up today for supper talk about good eats mmmmm

[attachment deleted by admin]
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »
That looks tasty, Sterling! We may have to cook up a couple of those at Pat's Camp-o-Rama to keep our hearts well-lubricated and functioning properly. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 01:23:28 pm »
That looks tasty, Sterling! We may have to cook up a couple of those at Pat's Camp-o-Rama to keep our hearts well-lubricated and functioning properly. ;D

to bad i cant make it :( grease up your innards for me to lol :P 
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995