Author Topic: Hillbilly's Saturday evening Pig Fest  (Read 10175 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Hillbilly's Saturday evening Pig Fest
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:57 am »
Dang, that made my mouth start watering.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »
Man oh man. I need to make this. My doc is always amazed at my cholesteral, much to the chigrin of my wife, who has to watch hers.

Any way to adapt this recipe if you dont have a smoker? I do have one, but I need to get it out of storage.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »
ummm ummm ummmm. sure looks good.
been enjoying watchin what is for supper and wondering when Im gonna get an invite!
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »
Dane, if you have a gas grill, turn on one burner and put the bacon monster on the other side of the grill, not over the flames. Keep it at about 250-300 degrees until it's about 160 degrees in the middle (about 2-2 1/2 hours) then put it over some low heat to crisp the bacon, and baste it with some good bbq sauce. Cook it enough more just to caramelize the sauce and get the internal temp up to about 170. You can put some hickory chips in one of those little disposable pans over the side that's burning to get some smoke on it. It's so good it'll make you slap a shuggoth. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »
We do the same thing except we prefer a healthier version....we put cream cheese in it  ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Dane

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 06:33:53 pm »
Perfect suggestions. Thanks! I have a Vermont Casting gas grill, my pride and joy for no-hassle grilling. I'll have to make some extras, invite the Dark Goat of the Wood with a Thousand Young. I'll make some homemade bbq sauce, looking forward to trying it this Sunday.

Dane

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 07:05:02 pm »
Man that looks good!!!!!! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 08:33:17 am »
Let us know how it turns out, Dane. I bet some Mi-goh legs grilled with melted butter and lemon juice would be good, too. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 10:51:05 am »
That looks like proper utilization of the P.I.G. Hog. That would make the ultimate breakfast sandwich with a fried cackleberry on top. Oh Baby!... ' Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Dane

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 10:55:15 am »
Let us know how it turns out, Dane. I bet some Mi-goh legs grilled with melted butter and lemon juice would be good, too. ;D

Can do. Yeah, those Mi-go may just want to join us for dinner, too. Shug-Yuggoth.

Dane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »
For entertainment you could tie me up in a chair, put a slice of that on top of my head and watch my tongue beat me to death!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:46 am »
man, my mouth is watering. Pig is the most versatile, best eating, animal I know of - ham, pork chops, bacon, sausage, chitlins, cracklins, pork rinds, ribs, and don't forget pickled feet.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »

Ranger don't forget the mountain oysters, and even the whistle!  I don't want them but some people do.  Hillbilly, that looks, fantastic.  But where are the onions?  Some sliced, or diced vidalia's would just make that the biggest draw at the fair!  We all gotta die, Eddie, and El D, might as well die with a smile on our face, and terrible surprise for the coroner...... ;D 
What the heck, I have about fifty to sixty percent blockage in the widowmaker, and nice long strip, in my descending aorta, some in my kidney, etc.  So I might as well enjoy ! ;)  Set another Plate Hill billy! 8)
                                                                       Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 08:17:50 pm »
Here is my report. I am now recovering in the ICU, and it was worth it :)

It came off without a hitch. I used 2 lbs of thick cut bacon, as much ground pork sausage as I could get on the woven bacon matt, and about a lb. of local sharp chedder. I skipped the peppers for this first time, and got my grill too 280 or so. I have three burns, had the far left one on high and the middle one low, and it was easy to regulate the temp. The monster took about 2 hours, then on went the bbq sauce, put it over the middle burner, and voila.

I admit yours is a wee bit prettier, Steve, but I am really happy how it came out, and tasted. I made over roasted gold potatoes with freshly ground pepper and kosher salt, and some garlic bread on the side. Yeah, I skipped the greens, but in the spirit of this dish, I don't think anyone will mind.

Photos: first is the monster with the sauce just basted on. Two is it on the cutting board. Three is the monster all sliced and happy, and the last is on the plate.

One hint if you do this on a gas grill is to put some foil under to catch the drips, so cleaning is not a wretched choir.

Thanks Steve for this dish! It was as good as I imagined it. And it was pretty much foolproof. Even the weaving is easy.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »
Dane, look's good. Why worry about cleaning the grill? I have a Vermont Casting 3- burner. I just crank all three burners on till it get's about 600dg's and then wire brush the ash off.

Wayne, I eat far more pork than that. I just don't advertise it on the web. The Doc might be reading it. I go for a heart ultrasound tomorrow. ::)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:20:36 am by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?