Author Topic: Pyramid Question  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Hillbilly Deluxe

Pyramid Question
« on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »
     I am making a pyramid style bow out of hemlock. I was curious do you want to make the working part of the limbs twice as long as the draw or is ok to figure in the entire length of the bow even if the handle will not be bending too much. Also has anyone ever used hemlock before. The bow is about 2.5" wide and has some really neat grain.

Offline aaron

Re: Pyramid Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »
for safety you may want to go as long as possible. you can make a bow out of almost any wood, but hemlock may be a challenge- especially if it has "neat" grain. wide is good . wide and long. post a pic if you can. is the bow from a board? if so you are gonna want to back it, i think.  good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:51:15 pm »
Hemlock is soft and light, I personally wouldn't bother with it, there are too many woods out there that I know aren't a waste of time.  JMO FWIW!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:10:49 am »
I some arrows out of hemlock as the grain was spectacularly straight.  They are a bit brittle, might cause problems in a bow?  However, I remember reading about a pine board bow that worked just fine, so what the heck - maybe we'll learn something!

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Hillbilly Deluxe

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »
Well it was at the front of the list because it was going to be a wedding present. But, with all that said it will probably go on the back burner until i get some others that i have going for some other people done first. I will post it when I get around to it. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.