Author Topic: Robin Hood...ish, full draw pics, is it right?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline Frode

Re: Robin Hood...ish, full draw pics, is it right?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 09:15:55 pm »
OK then.  I once heard a legend telling how NASA set Werner von Braun up in a nice house with a big rolling lush green front lawn.  Which he promptly black topped over, to leave more time for, well, rocket science.  If I did that, maybe I could get a bow done a little quicker too.
I settled on hickory backed elm (it was a coin toss, elm, ash, maple).  I tried gluing in some reflex, only managed an inch, all of which seems to have set right out.  It's 70" ntn, and seems to be around 40#@28 (estimated).  The grip is below center, and the lower limb is a bit stiffer than the top, but I don't know if this is how it's supposed to look.  Its my first glue up, and my first try at a longer upper limb (on purpose  :P), and I could sure use some advice.  The drawn pic is 24".  Oh, and, the little arrow on the wall points to the right, which is the upper limb.
Thanks,
Frode

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:44:55 pm by Frode »
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Frode

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 11:47:15 pm »
And a full draw (24") pic... pardon the touch up work, the Underground Lair is under construction, and has a lower ceiling, calling for an odd stance.
Thanks,
Frode

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

I settled on hickory backed elm (it was a coin toss, elm, ash, maple).  I tried gluing in some reflex, only managed an inch, all of which seems to have set right out.  It's 70" ntn, and seems to be around 40#@28 (estimated).  The grip is below center, and the lower limb is a bit stiffer than the top, but I don't know if this is how it's supposed to look.  Its my first glue up, and my first try at a longer upper limb (on purpose  :P), and I could sure use some advice.  The drawn pic is 24".  Oh, and, the little arrow on the wall points to the right, which is the upper limb.
Thanks,
Frode

As the bow is supposed to be for someone representing Robin Hood, wouldn't it be more appropriate to make a mediaeval style longbow than a stiff handled one more suited to someone representing Horace Ford ? [ the original one].

Offline Frode

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »
As the bow is supposed to be for someone representing Robin Hood, wouldn't it be more appropriate to make a mediaeval style longbow than a stiff handled one more suited to someone representing Horace Ford ? [ the original one].
:D True, true.  You can probably chalk that one up to my lack of experience/confidence with bendy handle styles, and ultra-conservatism when it comes to putting bend in the fades.  Seeing as it's still bulky in the grip, I could slim it down and get it bending through and through, couldn't I?
Frode

Offline Frode

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 01:34:40 pm »
Slimmed down, curving a bit more.  I'm going to start another one, true to longbow specs, with a bit higher draw weight, but for now, I'm pleased as punch that the lamination is working!
Frode

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:25 pm »
Frode ....if it was Me....which it's NOT.... :P....but I would try to get a lot more wood near the Fades working for You...too much Static Wood there....the Left Limb especially...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »
Frode ....if it was Me....which it's NOT.... :P....but I would try to get a lot more wood near the Fades working for You...too much Static Wood there....the Left Limb especially...JMO
How 'bout now?  Sorry for the small steps, this ones pushing it for me.  Every time I pull it I half expect the backing to flip off and dance around the room  :o, but so far it's rock solid.  What do you think, take it further, or start a new one? (I'm gonna start a new one anyway  ;D)
Frode