Author Topic: splitting out my stave  (Read 1465 times)

Offline karrow

splitting out my stave
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »
i just recently cut down a red oak and osage log 8-10'' in diameter. they were green when i cut them. how long should i wait before i start splitting out my staves? or does it matter? i just need sum help getting started any advice would be helpful. maybe ill try to post sum pics. that will be a first to.

Offline John K

Re: splitting out my stave
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:17:02 pm »
The Osage i would split in half and seal the ends for now. The Oak i would split that in half peal the bark off and seal the ends and back , and let air dry for a month, then you can split those halves in half again. Not a bad idea to spray some Insecticide on the Osage.

Good luck !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:40:48 pm »
John gave you good advise. The only thing I would add is get the logs off the ground, especially the red oak. Fungi will move into the red oak quite quickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:21:48 pm »
yes keep the air circulating!  This is just some split ash What I would do would  get it up off the ground, put it inside or under a roof at least and put stickers in between just so air can circulate.  If u need help, there are plenty of good guys here to get info from, just ask!  Have a good day!

AA

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:16:03 am by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline karrow

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:33 pm »
thanks for the advice guys keep it coming

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »
I can't remember if I ever cut red oak. I don't know if I'd seal the back. You could but don't use glue. If you seal with a poly it will never ever take a stain. You could bet the back glassy smooth, stain it an d then seal it. But that's a lot of work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »
I usually always try to at least quarter a log the day I cut it, or more, depending on how big it is. Some woods will warp sometimes if you split them too narrow while they're fresh, and some can be split directly into staves. You want them to start drying, though, so at least quarter it unless it's really small, then I would half it. Seal the ends for sure.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.