Author Topic: Natural fiber bow string!  (Read 4719 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Natural fiber bow string!
« on: June 01, 2010, 05:49:35 am »
Hi guys was at work doing my overnights and thought I would try and twist up a hemp fiber bow string.  it was 12 strands with a reverse twist and guess I will make a bow around the string.  I wanted to make a double plaited loop but the natives didnt use it so I left it as a plain cord .  When I get ready to use it I will make a bowyers knot or timber hitch.  Thanks guys!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Natural fiber bow string!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »
i made a dogbane string one time. it lasted about 6 months before it gave out.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Natural fiber bow string!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:03:06 am »
Thanks Jesse I was bored I work the overnights and upon reading some books I brought some natural fiber hemp with me it took 12 strands continuosly twisted together with no wax my hand was hurting by the time I was done making it.  I think it was around 60" long.  I cant break it either.  Good skills to know and have especiall if u run off the road and u have no rope to get pulled out.  mStart twisting kids!!  ;)

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill