Author Topic: Bow making Questions  (Read 4096 times)

falcon

Bow making Questions
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:50 am »
I am new with this, currently I am working on a Long Bow from a maple board, It still looks stiff.
I have some questions , that I might Find answers for here
1) since Pomegranate Wood are very strong and I think flexible, have any one tried making a self bow with a 2 inch  Pomegranate branch? or dose any one have any idia about using Pomegranate wood.
2) Since the main advantage of backing up the bow with sinew was that sinew shrinks after drying and so stretching the bow back to its straight position, what about using a stretched inner car tube as backing to the bow glued and tied at different lengths to the bow is this a good practice? what might be the affect? 
3) Can Rubber Silicon Glue be used to Glue the inner car tube backing or to glue burlap backing, since it stay rubbery when dry?

Thanks

Offline aaron

Re: Bow making Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:12 am »
1. don't know a thing about pommegranite... but try it!
2. rubber would be too stretchy to make much difference
3. it might work for a burlap backing, but other glue like wood glue is flexible enough.

good luck, and next time post under "bows" insted of "message board qa"

aaron

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
Aaron...the Topic was moved here....He didn't post it here..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Frode

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »
Welcome falcon,
I can't speak to the pomegranate, but like aaron says, wood glue is plenty flexible, and much easier to work with.  Cheaper too.   I would avoid the silicone glue, as I don't think it will bond properly to either the burlap, or the wood, not like wood glue would.  I think you'd be much happier (and safer) using wood glue.  If moisture resistance is a concern, use Titebond III.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:37 pm »
 If you can find a piece of Pomegranate long and straight enough for billets , or a bow , it should work fine. As far as backing it with an old rubber tire,,, sure would be an ooogly, back end of a  donkey looking, bow.

There is to many things that are natural that would be better.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

paganwannbe

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »
I would have to agree with mullet about the inner tube I have seen them and I can't see that as a good looking bow plus I don't think the glue would stink to it the inner tube that is you would have to use something like duct tape.