Author Topic: Piked a hickory  (Read 1484 times)

Offline chuckp

Piked a hickory
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »
Came out a little low on another hickory. Originally tillered out 51#@28". I wanted it be about 60#. The bow was 72". I cut 2" off both limbs. Now the bow is 68" but I gained 10 pounds. Great!

Offline bigcountry

Re: Piked a hickory
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:08 am »
You know one thing I have learned the hard way is sometimes, in fact most times its not about wieght, but about performance. 

I made my wife a osage that is 35lbs @ 28", and that little thing kicks a 460gr arrow at 145fps.  Great little performer.  Surprises me how well it shoots.  Also got a 55lb osage that is a dog that kicks that same arrow at 153fps.  I insisted that bow be 55lbs.  All kinds of string follow.

So if the bow give you the performance you want, it sounds great.  I wouldn't mind seeing some pics.
Westminster, MD

Offline chuckp

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:50 am »
I'm surprised I picked up 2.5pds/inch on shortening the bow. I have a few hickories that I need to put the finishing touches on and I'll take some pictures.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:49 pm »
Less limb also means less limb weight so you increased the harmonic resonance.  Shorter tines on a tuning fork make a higher pitched sound, right? Shorter limbs along with the higher draw weight really adds cast to the bow.  Hickory can really take the compression and the tension when tillered properly, just keep the bow dry. 

Someone a while back had an article in PA about the concept of harmonic resonance in bow limbs.  Lot of people didn't agree, but as far as the physics of the concept go it made a lot of sense to me.  My bows shoot better by following those those principles, now I can't wait to get more acquainted with the mass theory in regards to limbs. 

Good shooting!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 01:28:59 pm »
What is cool about this is it does confirm the rule of every 1% you cut off, it will raise your wieght 5%.  68lbs is about right on target.
Westminster, MD

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 01:49:58 pm »
1% yields 5%...nice formula to know, thanks!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.